Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Actual game shows that seem like fake ones  (Read 4860 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Actual game shows that seem like fake ones
« on: August 21, 2019, 10:44:16 PM »
I’d never seen an episode of Set For Life until a friend shared one with me last week. My first thought was “this feels like a fake game show a sitcom created as a plot device.”

Are there other game shows you’ve seen that feel the same way to you?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

Re: Actual game shows that seem like fake ones
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 11:08:09 PM »
I forget who I was discussing this with, but ever since they told me America Says feels like a game show on a sitcom that couldn't afford to use Family Feud, it's stuck with me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:06 PM »
The current Press Your Luck rotating the board mid-segment gave me a better appreciation for the Numberwang gag.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:50:00 PM »
I forget who I was discussing this with, but ever since they told me America Says feels like a game show on a sitcom that couldn't afford to use Family Feud, it's stuck with me.
John Michael Higgins was the game show host for the (magnificent and fantastic) "Mr. Monk and the Game Show" episode, which 1) you should watch if you have Amazon Prime and 2) is on my personal medal podium of "fictional meta- game shows."
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:28:35 AM »
How Much is Enough

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
Heads or Tails (UK)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »
It doesn’t help that John Michael Higgins is in that category of “guy you don’t really know, but you’ve seen him play parts on a dozen different shows”.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Loogaroo

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
Face the Music and Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak come to mind.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »
I tried watching an episode of The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour when that first resurfaced earlier this year, but my mind absolutely could not process it.  Largely because of all the time I've associated that theme with The Price is Right, but also because I just couldn't believe that set was designed less than two years after the previous Match Game was finally taken off the air.  Obviously that time frame means nothing to me now - it was all before I was born, and only know the 70's Match Game from the endless reruns - but it just seems so incongruent to me now.

Stackertosh

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »
The Colour of money (UK)

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
It doesn’t help that John Michael Higgins is in that category of “guy you don’t really know, but you’ve seen him play parts on a dozen different shows”.
Case in point: I don't think I ever processed that he played David Letterman in The Late Shift.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »
I’d never seen an episode of Set For Life until a friend shared one with me last week. My first thought was “this feels like a fake game show a sitcom created as a plot device.”

Are there other game shows you’ve seen that feel the same way to you?

Burt Luddin's Love Buf....., wait a minute...

SuperMatch93

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »
Debt always seemed like one to me, but they were trying to make it purposely kitschy so that's probably why.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
The Great Getaway Game.  Complete with a cheesy host!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

trainman

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 03:03:49 AM »
USA Network's "Quicksilver" and "Free 4 All." Maybe the latter more than the former.
trainman is a man of trains