Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's with PYL on ABC?  (Read 2431 times)

DjohnsonCB

What's with PYL on ABC?
« on: August 18, 2019, 04:48:58 PM »
Last Wednesday's show was a rerun and this week it's pre-empted for a special.  The Wednesday after that, ABC has Celebrity FF at that time (at least presumably; my local guide has some local Huskers special that night at 7 on KETV and "Feud" later in the evening; I may have read the latter wrong).  I wonder if ABC has grown disenchanted with PYL due to some players' potential "Michael Larsening" of the board patterns or the fact that no one has yet become a millionaire in the bonus round?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

BrandonFG

Re: What's with PYL on ABC?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
The season finale aired August 7. It's now in reruns.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SamJ93

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »
I wonder if ABC has grown disenchanted with PYL due to some players' potential "Michael Larsening" of the board patterns or the fact that no one has yet become a millionaire in the bonus round?

The board pattern is almost assuredly pseudo-random to a degree now that it would be completely impossible to do anything even resembling what Larsen did.

As for the latter statement...if Millionaire can go on for 15 more years after it last gave out its title prize, I doubt anyone is so concerned about PYL not delivering on its promises.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »
Last Wednesday's show was a rerun and this week it's pre-empted for a special.  The Wednesday after that, ABC has Celebrity FF at that time (at least presumably; my local guide has some local Huskers special that night at 7 on KETV and "Feud" later in the evening; I may have read the latter wrong).  I wonder if ABC has grown disenchanted with PYL due to some players' potential "Michael Larsening" of the board patterns or the fact that no one has yet become a millionaire in the bonus round?
They aired a special "preview" episode the week of its premiere, so they finished airing all the originals a week before Card Sharks and Match Game. Based on the solid ratings it got on Wednesday, I feel comfortable saying it will return, likely with more episodes taped than 8.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
If/when it comes back, they really need to retool that bonus round.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 06:18:26 PM »
If/when it comes back, they really need to retool dump that bonus round.

Fixed that for you.

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
My proposed change: have two games each with three new contestants, with each game consisting of five questions and a Big Board round. The winners of each game then face each other in one final "Whammy-Off." Both players have seven spins total, alternating back-and-forth. Whammies from the main game carry over. The contestant with the higher score after each contestants' seven spins are completed, or the player left standing after their opponent hits his/her fourth Whammy, wins.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:56:42 AM »
The problem is with their pacing you can’t really play two games.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 07:15:39 AM »
The problem with doing PYL in a half hour format is that it would be pretty much impossible to edit a full game to a half hour, with all the added spins hit on the board during game play. They already have one less question in round one to allow some more time. This is why they have the bonus game, so that a game that runs long could be done with less editing, and then the bonus game can be tailored to run long or be really fast, depending on how the front game goes. The bonus round may be anti-climactic at times, but I think it is necessary to have it so that the front game isn't so chopped up from edits.

Pacing isn't so much a problem with PYL, Card Sharks on the other hand, is too much of a crawl. I realize the card turning is deliberately slower to pad out a game that is only one round and five questions. One problem with Card Sharks is that every game has ended with sudden death. Nobody has gone through all 10 cards without making a mistake or going through less than 5 questions. I think they either need to add more questions or adjust the number of cards per line so that the outcome isn't the same for each game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
That’s no pot why they have th3 bonus game, Matt.
Travis L. Eberle