The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Did NBC make a big mistake...

(1/7) > >>

danderson:
In canceling "Match Game" in 1969 for the soap "Somerset"? I know, i'm forgetting "Letters to Laugh-In" but...to me NBC really wanted to spin off the characters Sam and Lahoma Lucas, and Missy Matthews, from "Another World," and move them to a town about an hour's drive from Bay City, and in order to do so, canceled "MG" rather than lose "Bright Promise."

JakeT:

--- Quote from: danderson on August 16, 2019, 08:45:58 PM ---In canceling "Match Game" in 1969 for the soap "Somerset"? I know, i'm forgetting "Letters to Laugh-In" but...to me NBC really wanted to spin off the characters Sam and Lahoma Lucas, and Missy Matthews, from "Another World," and move them to a town about an hour's drive from Bay City, and in order to do so, canceled "MG" rather than lose "Bright Promise."

--- End quote ---

Or did NBC do everyone, especially CBS, a favor by cancelling "The Match Game" because, without the cooling-off period for what had become a rather stale format at that point, the 1973 revival would have never happened...

In 1969, game shows in general were dead men walking..."Somerset" or not, the days were numbered for "The Match Game"...

JakeT

JakeT:
Btw, why are you suggesting "The Match Game" was cancelled for "Somerset"?

"The Match Game" ended in September, 1969..."Somerset" didn't premiere until March, 1970...

In fact, wasn't "Bright Promise" MG's replacement, not "Somerset"?

JakeT

danderson:
I thought "Bright Promise" replaced "You Don't Say"?

WarioBarker:
It did.

As for The Match Game, it was replaced by Letters To Laugh-In, then Namedroppers (moving from 12:30), then Somerset.

(Source: Game Shows '75, via Internet Archive.)

--- Quote from: JakeT on August 16, 2019, 09:10:17 PM ---In 1969, game shows in general were dead men walking...
--- End quote ---
Eh? 1969 saw NBC debut Sale of the Century, The Who What or Where Game, and (through syndication) It's Your Bet, all of which had long runs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version