Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game 6-6 tie question  (Read 2187 times)

Ian Wallis

Match Game 6-6 tie question
« on: August 13, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »
In the 7x version, does anyone know how many times this happened after the first round?

I was watching an episode on GSN a while back where this occurred.  Instead of wiping the score and playing the scheduled round 2 questions, Gene pressed the button again and went straight to the tie-breaker questions.

My vague memory tells me this happened at least one other time where they wiped the score and played the round 2 questions as if it was a tie-breaker.  Anyone else recall that one, or am I mis-remembering?

Anyone know if it happened any other time?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Otm Shank

Re: Match Game 6-6 tie question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »
Vague recollection as well, but I do remember Gene breezing past the Round 2 questions and muttering something about not needing them. Don't recall them playing the R2 questions for the tiebreaker, though. As a technical matter, it goes against the rules.

I don't suspect it happened very often, given the R1 questions are designed to not have a definitive answer (and to happen twice in the same round).

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 11:32:42 PM »
Are you sure it was a daytime episode? I remember a PM episode where the score was 6-6 at the end of Round 2, so Gene skipped Round 3 on the machine and they did a daytime tiebreaker.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 06:36:22 AM »
Are you sure it was a daytime episode? I remember a PM episode where the score was 6-6 at the end of Round 2, so Gene skipped Round 3 on the machine and they did a daytime tiebreaker.

Now that you mention it, that's probably what I'm remembering.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:36:08 AM »
Don't recall them playing the R2 questions for the tiebreaker, though. As a technical matter, it goes against the rules.

I'd think so, too, but I remember a couple occasions when Gene had to throw out a question because a star talked too much. After asking Ira, he simply hit the button and offered a choice from the next round, despite the rounds (including the tie-breaker) varying in difficulty.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:10:23 PM »
I'd think so, too, but I remember a couple occasions when Gene had to throw out a question because a star talked too much. After asking Ira, he simply hit the button and offered a choice from the next round, despite the rounds (including the tie-breaker) varying in difficulty.

And on at least one occasion, Ira handed him a spare question instead. So I'm thinking there wasn't a set SOP for it.