Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL season finale on ABC tonight 8/7  (Read 4092 times)

BillCullen1

PYL season finale on ABC tonight 8/7
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
The episode airing on ABC this evening is billed as the season finale. It is episode 103.

Unrealtor

Re: PYL season finale on ABC tonight 8/7
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
And that episode managed to feature something that I'm not sure that I've seen on any of the past versions of PYL... a contestant coming out of a question round with zero spins
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »
And that episode managed to feature something that I'm not sure that I've seen on any of the past versions of PYL... a contestant coming out of a question round with zero spins

It happened twice; once in 1984 and in 1985, each in round 1. The second time the contestant won the round and the game.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »

It happened twice; once in 1984 and in 1985, each in round 1. The second time the contestant won the round and the game.

I think the 1984 one just ran on Buzzr. IIRC, he didn't earn his first spin until question 3 of round 2.

tvmitch

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
I've often thought that declining to play in Round 1 would actually be to the contestant's advantage in the long run statistically. That may be even more true in this new version.
You should follow me on Twitter

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 01:39:24 PM »
It looks like ABC will continue to show reruns of PYL and Card Sharks on Saturday evenings.

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »
I've often thought that declining to play in Round 1 would actually be to the contestant's advantage in the long run statistically. That may be even more true in this new version.

The ideal strategy, IMO, for Round 1 is to earn about $2000 and pass. 1 Whammy? Pass. On that note, in round 2, way too many people (on the original and current) seem to believe that having 6 or more spins meant they had to keep playing to try to burn them off, not realizing that passing a lot of spins to their opponent who has to play them is a real disadvantage for them.

Loogaroo

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
Since there are 10 Whammies inhabiting 9 squares on the board, there's about an 18% chance of hitting a Whammy on any given R2 spin. And since it's clear that nobody is scanning the board to wait for a soft board to come up, that means that a player is a 55% favorite to hit at least one Whammy when 4 spins have been passed to them. That may change if they start staggering the board rotations in Season 2 so all 18 squares don't change at exactly the same time.

Peggy struck me as the only player out of the entire crop this season that played with any semblance of a strategy, as evidenced by the way she talked through her last spin of the front game. Really hope to see more of that when the show comes back - PYL is deceptively robust when it comes to the variables of making that play/pass decision.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
I just watched. If Peggy had been using good strategy she would have passed at 26,000.  Instead
she needed two lucky spins in a row to win.

Loogaroo

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
I did say "any semblance of strategy", to be fair.

Big Brain

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
Are there any unaired episodes?  I thought ten were ordered, but I only count eight episodes that have aired ???

Sodboy13

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 10:20:52 PM »
I recall reading that both PYL and Card Sharks only got 8-episode runs for this summer.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Loogaroo

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 02:13:20 PM »
Correct; there were a total of eight tapings for each show, shot on a 2-3-3 schedule.