Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paley Center Find Of Interest- 1972 Jeopardy  (Read 2158 times)

RMF

Paley Center Find Of Interest- 1972 Jeopardy
« on: August 05, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
Hello all-

I am back from a day out in Los Angeles, during which I visited the Paley Center.

It turns out that they have acquired, sometime relatively recently, five episodes of Jeopardy! from late September and early October of 1972- and that they are available for viewing.

I watched one complete episodes and bits of another- there are limits on what I can provide with such a small sample, but I'm willing to share what I noted if it is of interest.

snowpeck

Re: Paley Center Find Of Interest- 1972 Jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:31:12 AM »
I saw some of those the last time I was in NYC. Very interesting, all in black and white. If I remember correctly, they're most of a single champion's run, which is likely why they were recorded.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

RMF

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 01:49:11 AM »
I saw some of those the last time I was in NYC. Very interesting, all in black and white. If I remember correctly, they're most of a single champion's run, which is likely why they were recorded.

They are- and, based on what I watched, they seem to be clearly both home recordings (a lot of edits, a couple of points where over-the-air issues seem apparent) and ones that at some point where transferred before arriving at the Paley Center (visible tape issues that seem to originate from the dubbing process).

nowhammies10

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 01:16:10 PM »
Paley also has in its archives the original pilot episode of Jeopardy!, VTR 18-Mar-1964.  Clips have popped up here and there on various x,000th J! episodes, as well as on the 2005 Behind the Scenes DVD.  Interesting thing I recall: the Daily Doubles were originally hidden as a second clue; that is, Marjorie picks "Television" for $30, the clue is revealed and answered as normal.  The DD is under that clue, available to the contestant who correctly responded to the first clue.  No idea what would happen if the first clue was a Triple Stumper.  I don't believe the DD was explicitly related to the initial clue, like the follow-ups on Win Ben Stein's Money.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
Interesting thing I recall: the Daily Doubles were originally hidden as a second clue; that is, Marjorie picks "Television" for $30, the clue is revealed and answered as normal.  The DD is under that clue, available to the contestant who correctly responded to the first clue.  No idea what would happen if the first clue was a Triple Stumper.

Per a script I once read from that era, Art reveals that there was a Daily Double underneath that clue (complete with sound effect), but since no one had the correct question, no one gets a crack at it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:43:36 AM »
Interesting thing I recall: the Daily Doubles were originally hidden as a second clue...

Was this only on the pilot, or did they change it after the show had been running?