Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Harry Friedman leaving Wheel & Jeopardy!  (Read 16468 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Harry Friedman leaving Wheel & Jeopardy!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
and I can find plenty of people I can gift/sell handbags or clothing to.
Yes, I believe I avoid people like you at the mall.
eBay? Craigslist? Facebook Marketplace?
Sorry, that was intended to be more of a smartass comment/joke about the annoying folks who hawk handbags at the kiosks.

Quote from:
Sometimes they'll be sponsored by an appropriate sponsor. Like "Meals for a Year" being sponsored by Postmates or "Movies for a Year" being sponsored by Fandango. Doesn't change that it's basically cash, but I appreciate the effort.
Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but even when they are sponsored, there's no description.  I just question as to how they arrive at the value; an important part of a show about pricing merchandise.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:37:10 PM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
and I can find plenty of people I can gift/sell handbags or clothing to.
Yes, I believe I avoid people like you at the mall.
eBay? Craigslist? Facebook Marketplace?
Sorry, that was intended to be more of a smartass comment/joke about the annoying folks who hawk handbags at the kiosks.
Kinda figured. I'll take the whoosh. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
Quote from: rollercoaster87
brought in more desirable prizes.
Examples?  I'd much rather have a new fridge than some overpriced fashion crap.

As someone who rents, owning a large appliance doesn't help me, and I can find plenty of people I can gift/sell handbags or clothing to.

But couldn't you just as easily find plenty of people to sell a large new appliance to, if not even more easily?

JakeT

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
But couldn't you just as easily find plenty of people to sell a large new appliance to, if not even more easily?
Where do I put it in the interim?
This signature is currently under construction.

Unrealtor

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »
Quote from:
Sometimes they'll be sponsored by an appropriate sponsor. Like "Meals for a Year" being sponsored by Postmates or "Movies for a Year" being sponsored by Fandango. Doesn't change that it's basically cash, but I appreciate the effort.
Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but even when they are sponsored, there's no description.  I just question as to how they arrive at the value; an important part of a show about pricing merchandise.

FWIW, the recaps at G-R suggest that every time "____ for a year" came up last season, it was part of the prize package for a grocery or small prize game, so it seems that they're smart enough to realize that it's not a great idea to expect people to be able to price them. Also, quite a few of the descriptions give an explicit amount, so you can at least guess at the basis ($1200 worth of "dinner out for a year" seemed to come up quite a bit.)
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

JakeT

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »

Must everything be done for you?  You FIND a place...jeebus cripes...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 08:21:16 PM »
A small storage unit could run you about $50 a month. I imagine you could also call a local appliance store, tell them you have a brand new fridge/stove/jacuzzi that you have no use for, and invite them to make an offer. You might get more selling it online, but either way you come out a thousand bucks or so ahead than you did before.

/Minus those pesky taxes...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Loogaroo

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 11:00:51 PM »
Lost in all of this discussion is the fact that you can always, y'know, not accept the prize.

Or perhaps negotiate with the manufacturer for something else. ("I don't need a new fridge, but our washer & dryer have been on the fritz...") Granted, I've never won a prize on a game show so I don't know how amenable companies are for that sort of thing, but I would imagine they'd be OK with an equal-or-lesser-value trade.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

JakeT

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 11:58:50 PM »
Lost in all of this discussion is the fact that you can always, y'know, not accept the prize.

Or perhaps negotiate with the manufacturer for something else. ("I don't need a new fridge, but our washer & dryer have been on the fritz...") Granted, I've never won a prize on a game show so I don't know how amenable companies are for that sort of thing, but I would imagine they'd be OK with an equal-or-lesser-value trade.

But where would you put a washer & dryer????

**ducking**

JakeT

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
2) Raise the cost of vowels to $1,000.  I'm serious. 
I think now, more than ever, they’re okay with giving vowels away dirt cheap because it speeds up the puzzle solving.

I like Toss Up Countdown Round, or, if they could balance the Wheel out a little bit, maybe play to a goal total? Play three rounds, then toss ups of increasing value until one person reaches the goal.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
Because nobody has brought up Jeopardy (that I can remember), two changes that I would re-correct:

Teen Tournament winners get a spot in the upcoming Tournament of Champions.

Five time champions win a car. Whether it is a luxury car won only for 5x or a Toyota Corolla for the first and every five, that was an affectation of Barry and Enright that I found totally appropriate for Jeopardy.
Travis L. Eberle

Loogaroo

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 11:13:10 PM »
I distinctly remember Bob Harris getting his & hers automobiles after his 5-game run back in '97. They probably phased it out because it wasn't doing anything to enhance the experience of the show.

If we were still living in a world where champs retired after 5 wins, I'd be more on board. But since we already have a reward for winning five games - you get to play a sixth - I don't see it making much difference.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 11:20:36 PM »
If we were still living in a world where champs retired after 5 wins, I'd be more on board. But since we already have a reward for winning five games - you get to play a sixth - I don't see it making much difference.
I thought the elimination of cars and the addition of unlimited episodes happened concurrently.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Bryce L.

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 11:40:43 PM »
I thought the elimination of cars and the addition of unlimited episodes happened concurrently.
It did, AFAIK.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 04:22:59 AM »

They're usually not. Some (not all) car dealerships are open to negotiations because it's all part of making a sale, but for the companies that are using game shows to promote their products, shipping the prize is the necessary but unpleasant consequence of getting the advertisement. It's much less hassle for them to say "We're shipping you the model R2900 sofa in taupe microfiber that you saw" than to waste manpower on negotiating with a "customer" (who isn't giving the company any money) for something else.

Related: A few months ago, a TPIR contestant posted the prize paperwork he received, which included the following statement:

NOTE: The prizes seen on stage may be the actual prizes you have won. Therefore, your prizes may not arrive in original packaging or in a manufacture-sealed box.

Approximately 99% of the time, negotiation isn't even an option.