Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF format change for next season  (Read 4546 times)

SuperMatch93

WOF format change for next season
« on: July 26, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
Per the Buy A Vowel boards, the $3,000 tossup will be replaced with three $2,000 tossups of the same category and an unstated common theme.

http://buyavowel.boards.net/thread/10908/new-triple-toss
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

brianhenke

Re: WOF format change for next season
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:26:44 PM »
  If there was a change I would love to see, it should be fixing the bonus round to get more winners. We had 20 consecutive shows without a BR winner (this was lost in the shuffle due to James Holzhauer), and only ONE winner in May. The show ended the season with another BR shotout.

I think that there are two options: (1) a fourth consonant or (2) the return to 15 seconds. If the contestant(s) brings the Wild Card, he/she/they would get a fifth consonant.

BRian

Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »
We had 20 consecutive shows without a BR winner (this was lost in the shuffle due to James Holzhauer)

It was?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
Maybe it was lost in the shuffle because most people don’t track that statistic.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 06:22:14 PM »
If there was a change I would love to see, it should be fixing the bonus round to get more winners.

Considering that they just replaced a $3,000 main game payout with a $6,000 main game payout, I don't think you're going to get your wish.

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 09:40:47 PM »
If there was a change I would love to see, it should be fixing the bonus round to get more winners.

Considering that they just replaced a $3,000 main game payout with a $6,000 main game payout, I don't think you're going to get your wish.

I'm banking on more bonus losses to puzzles like "Zimbabwe" and "Quibble"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 10:58:28 AM »
If money was tight I would have trouble imagining that Wheel would 1) add an extra round's worth of winnings to every show and 2) keep upping the minimum bonus round prize every year.

My tinfoil hat theory is this is an intermediate step to making segment 4 exclusively quick-fire puzzles if not exclusively toss ups
This signature is currently under construction.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »
If money was tight I would have trouble imagining that Wheel would 1) add an extra round's worth of winnings to every show and 2) keep upping the minimum bonus round prize every year.

My tinfoil hat theory is this is an intermediate step to making segment 4 exclusively quick-fire puzzles if not exclusively toss ups

Based on a report that I read, this is not the case currently.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
1) On the other hand, it takes away time previously used for Rounds 4+, making the chance of $5,000 wedge payouts lower, since the Final Spin bells will never go off any earlier than the start of Round 4.
2) That's honestly just a gimmick that adds $1,000 per year. Besides, that's only the cash minimum - cars can be, and have been, less than said minimum...and I think that'll be even more likely next season since it's been confirmed that the 1/2 Car tags are gone.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
Since I'm not familiar with the WoF boards, how much of the information presented is reliable? 

--Mark
Phil 4:13

nowhammies10

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 01:22:47 PM »
Considering the original reporter was actually present at a taping, I'd say 100%.

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 03:14:32 PM »
Maybe they could replace the whole front game with toss-ups and keep the bonus-round wheel so something goes along with “Wheel” in the title.

There was a message on that board that referred to unsolved toss-ups. How does a toss-up go unsolved?

nowhammies10

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
You must solve a toss-up with at least one letter unrevealed.  When all letters are revealed in the toss-up, it is said to have gone unsolved.  Control goes to the red player if the $1k or $2k toss-ups go unsolved, control goes to whoever won the $2k toss-up if the $3k goes unsolved.

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 04:23:42 PM »
When all letters are revealed in the toss-up, it is said to have gone unsolved.

The board doesn’t stop with one letter unseen (as on Scrabble) so if the three players are slow on the throttle, they could all miss?

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 05:27:44 PM »
When all letters are revealed in the toss-up, it is said to have gone unsolved.

The board doesn’t stop with one letter unseen (as on Scrabble) so if the three players are slow on the throttle, they could all miss?

Yes, it's a rare occurrence, but it does happen once or twice a season on average.