Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medium Article: Patrick Wayne on his dad...  (Read 1659 times)

JakeT

Re: Medium Article: Patrick Wayne on his dad...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »
The Duke.

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/patrick-wayne-unmasks-extraordinary-dads-vulnerability-in-exclusive-birthday-tribute-a1a46c540855

Aside from the fact that Patrick Wayne was the one interviewed here, can you enlighten me/us to even the slightest tangential connection/reference to game shows here? 

Did I miss something?

JakeT

whewfan

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »
While there's no connection to game shows, I found the article interesting. Didn't know that Patrick Wayne was almost Superman in 1978. Caitlyn Jenner also mentioned in her book about being offered the role, but that meant having to cut her hair, and she liked her hair long.

I will relay a Patrick Wayne story though that relates to game shows. In 1998 I went to GSC8 in Ohio where Art James called us. We asked about his experience announcing for TTD 90 and Patrick Wayne. He said in a rather "rolling his eyes" way "Oh... Patrick Waaayne." He said he never really got to know Patrick Wayne, but felt that Patrick was an actor trying to be a game show host. Art told us that he felt that a game show host should just be himself... maybe a slightly exaggerated version of himself, or the audience knows that you're just a phony.

Also a quick John Wayne story that relates to game shows... in Peter Marshall's book, Peter talked about a time where they had a question "True or False, John Wayne makes his kids call him "sir". The writer apparently got his information wrong, and John penned a letter to the producers saying firmly that he loves his children and would never make them call him "sir." The letter was written in true John Wayne fashion, and the producers kept the letter since.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 02:02:33 PM »
I will relay a Patrick Wayne story though that relates to game shows. In 1998 I went to GSC8 in Ohio where Art James called us. We asked about his experience announcing for TTD 90 and Patrick Wayne. He said in a rather "rolling his eyes" way "Oh... Patrick Waaayne." He said he never really got to know Patrick Wayne, but felt that Patrick was an actor trying to be a game show host. Art told us that he felt that a game show host should just be himself... maybe a slightly exaggerated version of himself, or the audience knows that you're just a phony.
As much flack as Patrick gets, I imagine a lot of that falls on the production staff. They apparently thought his Mr. Game Show personality was fine, even though it was cheesy.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!