Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows  (Read 6418 times)

Ian Wallis

Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows
« on: June 26, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
I'm sure this is something a lot of us on this forum have.  The most recent edition (that I'm aware of) was done just before Who Wants To Be A Millionaire went on the air.

Anyone know if we'll ever get another edition of this?

With all the shows of the past 20 years (especially in primetime), there'd be a lot of new entries.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JakeT

Re: Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »
I'm sure this is something a lot of us on this forum have.  The most recent edition (that I'm aware of) was done just before Who Wants To Be A Millionaire went on the air.

With all the shows of the past 20 years (especially in primetime), there'd be a lot of new entries.

With Fred Wostbrock gone, it almost would seem wrong...but...Adam Nedeff would certainly be the most logical...and worthy author to inherit his spot on that writing team...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »
With there being so many shows that have premiered since 1999, how about a new edition of just 21st Century shows, along with shows that aired in 1999, and made their way into the new millennium (obviously TPiR, Wheel, J!, then shows like Bergeron's Hollywood Squares)? Since the last EOTVGS dropped just before the wave of big money primetime shows, that would make for a nice starting point.

/I second the nomination for Adam
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »

Never say never, but even the guys who wrote the "TV Trivia Bible" known as The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946–Present retired from ever updating the book again back in '07. They cited the cost of hiring staff & researchers being a problem as the reason why. However, something tells me the miracle of Google helping you find the name of that obscure sitcom you remember watching as a kid in seconds also had to do with ending the hard copy reference book.

/ Me three for the nomination for Adam.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:52:36 PM by gamed121683 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 10:55:32 PM »
There are so many shows that ran 5 or 6 episodes that nobody remembers or aren't worthy of remembering that it wouldn't be worth the paper.  Does anyone really want a half page devoted to Set For Life?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Otm Shank

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:09 PM »
I wrote a nonfiction book, and part of the contract with the publisher is that I (or my estate) will provide updated editions of the book if the publisher requests it. If I'm unwilling/unable/etc, they can hire someone to make the updates and divide royalties. So if that clause is in Fred's contract, and the term is still current that they can exercise the right, the publisher can request the estate to make an update or take over.

As was said earlier, printed compendia are becoming less and less common, so it is entirely possible we have the final edition in our possession.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
The other problem feature is that assuming you delineate somehow what is or isn’t, we’re at the point we’re it would be a three volume set. I would almost prefer a DVD version like Encarta

/thank you, iPad, that was supposed to be “Encarta”.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 03:29:05 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:19:00 AM »
Forgive how coy this answer is going to come off, but it’s just that it’s not my place to reveal certain info. But I’m happy to say that there are at least three game show-related reference books in the works right now (with minimal involvement from me, actually). Hopefully there’s more to announce sooner than later.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 03:50:36 AM »
You could print out Wikipedia pages on shows and create your own encyclopedia of newer game show, whilst adopting their odd British nomenclature for host/announcer becoming presenter/narrator.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bob Zager

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »
Forgive how coy this answer is going to come off, but it’s just that it’s not my place to reveal certain info. But I’m happy to say that there are at least three game show-related reference books in the works right now (with minimal involvement from me, actually). Hopefully there’s more to announce sooner than later.

Would I be correct if those books in the works right now, include your updated Emcee Monty Hall?

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
No, I have two books in the works including Monty...just finished the first draft of that last night...and the book about “The Gong Show.”

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
No, I have two books in the works including Monty...just finished the first draft of that last night...and the book about “The Gong Show.”
You make it sound like you don't have time for a third. Get cracking. :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jamey Greek

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »

So those are the two you are working on?  Any other biographies you are working on?  Who else?

dazztardly

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »
Adam Nedeff should definitely be given the opportunity to bat on a future edition.

-Dan

Jamey Greek

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 09:10:33 PM »
Adam Nedeff should definitely be given the opportunity to bat on a future edition.

-Dan

Amen to that!