Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Fun and Games 2019 ‐‐ Rank 'em!  (Read 6143 times)

TimK2003

ABC Fun and Games 2019 ‐‐ Rank 'em!
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
How do you rank this years class of ABC primetime revivals from best to worst?

1) Pyramid -- The most challenging game and the least "over the top" contestants.
2) PYL -- Despite the Big Bucks Bonanza round, a great revival.
3) MG
4) TTTT
5) CS -- To me, it reminds me more of CS 2001 than the Perry/Eubanks/Rafferty versions.
6) CFF -- Same old schtick, it was funny for about the first 10 minutes in season one.

Chuck Sutton

Re: ABC Fun and Games 2019 ‐‐ Rank 'em!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
Here's how I rank them.

1. To Tell the Truth.  Somehow just playing for fun and pride makes it more fun, especially get a good guest like wire Walker that saved someone hanging from ski lift.  It was magic when he told the tale and all 4 scoffed.

2.  100,000 Pyramid again good players  and celebrities work great.

3. Match Game

4.  Celebrity Family Feud, although Fast Money is made way too easy on here.

5. Press your Luck.  Probably 1 or 2 just for real game but the bonus game that is just a clone of Deal or No Deal, without averaging the remaining cases that made it work.

6. Card Sharks. One game 10 cards five questions does not seem to work.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
1) Pyramid: About as well done of a revival as we'll get these days.
2) PYL: See previous comment, but the bonus round is a deduction.
3) MG: Also well-done, and I won't deduct on raciness, but some of the questions are stinkers, and Alec is certainly an acquired taste (I personally feel he's doing well on there).
4) CS: Joel will take a bit of getting used to, plus pacing needs to be worked out, the contestants are too excited, the announcer doesn't sound excited enough (added in post?).....otherwise, it isn't too bad.
5) TTTT: I did warm up to it a little bit last season, but it's still my least favorite version of the entire franchise. Just a time-kill for me if anything.
6) Celebrity Feud, by default. I don't watch it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »
Here's how I rank them

The celebrity charity games are always going to be a little easier because not winning money for charity might look pretty bad on TV.

My list:
1. Pyramid

2. Match Game

3. Press Your Luck, although I think the bonus round could be shortened or just do two half-hour games.

4. TTTT. This has really grown on me though.

5. Card Sharks. Like I said in another thread, lose the Endemol elements and we’ll talk.

6. Celebrity Family Feud. Same issues I have with the daytime version. I do like the old-schoolish intro, though.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
Here's how I rank them

The celebrity charity games are always going to be a little easier because not winning money for charity might look pretty bad on TV.
Ok I see that  but "name a month starts with M"  is not just a little easier but a free 100 points.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 01:19:19 AM »
Ok I see that  but "name a month starts with M"  is not just a little easier but a free 100 points.

No love for "Movember"?

Otm Shank

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »

No love for "Movember"?

What about "the third month of pregnancy"?

Offshored2007

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
1. $100,000 Pyramid - best of these revivals, but sometimes the Winner's Circle is too damn easy ("People in The White House" as the top category?)

2. Match Game - but the top prize needs to be bumped to at least $50K (compared to payouts in 1, 3, and 4), I don't see a need for the Star Wheel to come back to do that.

3. Card Sharks - I like Joel McHale, but the main game and the money cards are too drawn out. Nice set.

4. Press Your Luck - the DonD bonus game needs major tweaking, they need to show the answers in the first round. The set is gorgeous. Elizabeth Banks... meh.

5. To Tell The Truth

6. Celebrity Family Feud - Tired, Fast Money here too needs a bump up to $50K.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 09:59:14 AM »
My list:
1. Pyramid

2. Match Game

3. Press Your Luck, although I think the bonus round could be shortened or just do two half-hour games.

4. TTTT. This has really grown on me though.
I watched TTTT last night, and it's actually a pretty fun show, and works without the payouts for wrong votes, though I wouldn't be opposed to them doing so. Right now, I'd put it in a tie for third with PYL. That said, I know she became popular because of her interactions with Anthony on another show, but "Mama Doris" adds nothing to the show. I'm sure she's not going anywhere, and I wouldn't stop watching because of her, but I just don't get the point of her being on the panel.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chrisholland03

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
My list:

1) Pyramid - they nailed it, I hope it continues to be successful

2) Match Game - nailed it, thought I wish they would aim a little closer to the double entendre than full on debauchery with the setups

3) TTTT - Has grown on me.  I could take or leave Anthony Anderson as a host, but the game is solid and it's fun to watch

4) PYL - Hopefully they're still ironing out the kinks.  I would prefer a better audio mix, could take or leave the bonus round.  If they shortened the bonus round to 3-2-1 would they have enough time for another full game/bonus?

5) CS - They blew it on the pacing.  It just moves too slow.  Solid question writing, great set and music, fundamentals are strong.

6) CFF - Between GSN airing it in huge blocks and the current syndication run, do we really need another hour a week of FF?

BillCullen1

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
Okay, my turn:

1 Pyramid - easily the best of the ABC revivals. Strahan has become a top notch host.

2 PYL - the main game is great. Bonus round needs tweaking, and lower the noise volume.

3 Match Game - mostly captures the party vibe of the 70s version, but some questions are lame.

4 Card Sharks - shows potential. Make the betting chips smaller and speed up the card reveals

5 Celeb FF - has become predictable. Lately they had celebs I don't know or care about.

6 TTTT - Anderson does a credible job as host, but this version is too far removed from the previous versions I grew up with. I find it hard to sit through a full episode of this show.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:19:16 PM by BillCullen1 »

Stackertosh

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »
I agree with BillCullen on his list

1 Pyramid - One of the best revivals ever and Michael is a good host. Its true to the classic versions.

2 PYL - The main game is basically classic PYL and its fun to watch. I would rather see two 30 min games played with a returning contestant then the bonus game. The Bonus game drags and i hate the DOND drama.

3 Match Game - It's a fun show the celebs are good, Alec is a terrible host.

4 Card Sharks - I agree this feels more like CS2001 then the classic versions.

5 Celeb FF - CFF is overhyped, i would rather sit and watch episodes of Louie Anderson version.

6 TTTT - I am not a fan of this version i tried to get into it and i couldn't. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:38:16 PM by Stackertosh »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 02:52:46 PM »
1) Pyramid.  Duh. Although it would be nice to see them experiment with new bonuses or mini-games.

2) PYL, and honestly it's a close second.  The first 35 minutes is sensational, and the last 25 minutes is very, very solid (and can be sensational with minor tweaks, though I personally love the US Deal or No Deal so of course I'm going to love the solo game.

3) To Tell the Truth.  Solid show.  Subjects are a nice mix of fun, neat demonstrations, and pure interest stories, while most of the panelists have been good, particularly the ones invited back.  Most of the changes going into season 2 were for the better, and Anthony's mom is far from the worst add on personality this genre's had over the years.

4) Celebrity Family Feud.  It's Feud.  With celebrities and Steve Harvey reaction speeches and sermonizing.  It's not my favorite thing but I can sit through an hour and not regret the time.

5) Match Game. I dislike Match Game in general, particularly the 1970s run as well as its aesthetic and gameplay successors (Had Bert Convy lived to 1990, that reboot would be remembered *far* more fondly IMO), and four seasons of Alec Baldwin have pushed him off the razor thin fence from endearing to annoying.

6) Card Sharks. The one game in the match with two 10 card rows setup is not enjoyable at all. Five survey questions in a half hour? Joel McHale has such a strong association to me with snarky sarcasm that I just do not want to see him host this show as I don't feel that's the right trait to approach this series with (the same reason I find the Eubanks run's attempt to recreate the dynamics of Newlywed Game so insufferable). There are so many big, medium, and small things this show just gets so wrong. And the whole thing just feels like their asking themselves "How do we keep the traditional trappings of the game while still making this fit a pair of 30 minute slots edited together?" 

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »

5) Match Game. I dislike Match Game in general, particularly the 1970s run as well as its aesthetic and gameplay successors (Had Bert Convy lived to 1990, that reboot would be remembered *far* more fondly IMO), and four seasons of Alec Baldwin have pushed him off the razor thin fence from endearing to annoying.
While obviously in no condition to host, Bert did live through the ABC daytime run, dying two days after the show ended in 91.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ITSBRY

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
1) Match Game, but only slightly just because they figured out how to modernize this show and make it work...something I really didn’t think was possible. It’s also the most faithful of all the remakes. I think Alec Baldwin’s style is a modern take on Gene’s sarcastic banter with the celebs, although his delivery does seem canned at times.

2) Pyramid but I think both Pyramid and MG are so close it was hard to choose. I agree that the players are so much less annoying on this show and overall, it captures the spirit of the 80s version well. I like Strahan but I do wish he’d change up the ‘choose your next category’ line. Says it every time. Minor nitpick but it makes it seem very canned. I also would like to see better organized categories in the WC. The top choice is often way too easy. Something just seems off about contestants giving in the WC to me. They have enough good celeb players in the rotation now that I’d like to see them develop that subtle clue giving skill that makes this the best end game ever conceived.

3) Press Your Luck gets a lot right. The main game is classic pyl. As others have said, less noise would help tremendously and for god’s sake, some fanfare when the player wins! I’m not opposed to A bonus but THIS one just doesn’t work at all. Way way too long and lacking suspense. Elizabeth Banks does a decent job keeping things moving and could grow into the role. Right now, she’s just adequate for me. 

4) Card Sharks is okay but I hope it grows on me. Again, a lot of good stuff but pacing is totally off. Joel doesn’t act like he wants to be there, at least in what I’ve seen so far. I’d also like to see the host doing the card turning. The whole role of the dealers is awkward, especially when they have to walk all the way back to the deck to get a new card and hide it as they walk back. Seems like they should be working together there having one hand the card off to the other.

5) To Tell The Truth is something I’ve only seen once but it did nothing for me. I should give it another look but I wasn’t compelled to continue to DVR it.

6) Please give Family Feud a dang rest already. This show is very tired IMO. Nothing interests me about it whatsoever. I think it needs to go away for a few years and come back with another host.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:37:29 PM by ITSBRY »