Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the NORMAL viewer notices?  (Read 3758 times)

rebelwrest

What the NORMAL viewer notices?
« on: June 13, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »
SPOILERS AHEAD
But I am using the spoilers for discussion.

This came up in the discussion topics for the premieres of the ABC reboots of "Press Your Luck" and "Card Sharks.  Forum members noticed that if you were looking at the clock, you knew in "Press Your Luck" that guy was going to stop after landing on the trip to the South Pacific, and you knew that guy was going to turn over that 3rd ace on "Card Sharks".  We also notice how over the top the audience was in both shows, and how obnoxious the contestants were in the first game of "Card Sharks".  My question is do you think the normal viewer notice what we forum members notice?  If so, does this mean the viewing public take this as a given for prime time game shows and/or this is what game show producers think this is what is needed to keep the public engaged during the show?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Re: What the NORMAL viewer notices?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 02:44:31 PM »
Honestly, I don't think "normal" viewers notice.  My wife even didn't notice some of the things I caught about the first part of 'Card Sharks' (specifically the # of cards used for the race round).  She also didn't catch that they updated the theme (which I REALLY want to hear in the clear).
--Matt

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
I would think there would be a few more people than what some may think that would catch even the subtle changes on the reboots simply because most their predecessors are somewhat available online and/or via GSN/Buzzr etc... and they have some working knowledge of the aesthetics of the show. 

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 05:35:06 PM »
In conversations I've had with casual fans, I'd say no. I have a friend who wasn't a fan of Drew Carey on TPiR or a coworker who said (insert current show) is a little too drawn out, but that's about the extent. In the case of long-running shows like Millionaire, the reaction may be something like "That's still on?" Just like I wouldn't catch the little Easter eggs in a Marvel superhero movie, but I enjoy the action and dialogue. That said, I've tweeted a little about the new PYL and Card Sharks, and that's sparked a few conversations about the nostalgia factor.

I think every fanbase has people like us who know the procedure a little more than the typical fan.

/My relatives seem to love Family Feud though
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
We are most assuredly the one percent of the one percent. I cannot watch an old episode of TPIR and not yell "Silly person! It always ends with zero!" as the poor soul bungles Ten Chances.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »
We are most assuredly the one percent of the one percent. I cannot watch an old episode of TPIR and not yell "Silly person! It always ends with zero!" as the poor soul bungles Ten Chances.
About 15 years ago, I watched an episode with my mom. They were playing Money Game and I remembered the rule of the second number was usually (always?) the lowest variable divisible by 5. I confidently said "20" or whatever, and when Bob pulled the card, my mom looked at me like I had grown a third hand.

Can't remember if I explained how I knew that. I was prolly too busy laughing at her reaction. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »
I’ve had friends text me about the annoying players of CS and the loudness of the audience of PYL. They aren’t diehards like me/you/us.

My wife had questions about the Money Cards double rule (I wasn’t aware of the push=loss) and sudden death on CS, which is shocking since when I have  Perry’s version on, she goes to the other room. 😂

jage

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
Because of DOND, I'm conditioned to try to stay away from the clock when a self-contained show is on, but there are probably shows from the past where looking at the clock while watching could help to reveal parts of the outcome.
Last night, we confirmed that the main game of PYL is not a hard stop at :30 and it was nice to see that part of the show drawn out.

I think CS is the one that is drawn out a bit much. I like the idea of using studio audience questions to fill in some time, or doing the car bonus game.

Offshored2007

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 07:48:52 AM »
My normal wife saw one minute of the PYL reboot and uttered her usual phrase:

"I HATE THAT SHOW" (hates every version, even when I showed her Second Chance)

Here's what she noticed without my prompting: 1) The timing of the last spin winning the Jeep 2) Where are the choices for the answers? 3) Is that a new version of the theme?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
My normal wife saw one minute of the PYL reboot and uttered her usual phrase:

"I HATE THAT SHOW" (hates every version, even when I showed her Second Chance)

Here's what she noticed without my prompting: 1) The timing of the last spin winning the Jeep 2) Where are the choices for the answers? 3) Is that a new version of the theme?

I've mentioned this before, but my sister is not a fan of game shows.  She even went to the trouble of programming her remote so it jumps past GSN without clicking.  It's getting more difficult to avoid, though.  Wasn't Wednesday night mostly reality or game shows on all the networks?

When seeking entertainment, I'm not sure if people watch the clock as much as I would, so they don't know the end has to be near.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
When seeking entertainment, I'm not sure if people watch the clock as much as I would, so they don't know the end has to be near.

With a bonus round that interminable, I'm pretty sure *everyone* is looking at the clock....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rstrata

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 01:39:34 PM »

Hit Me:
Bob:  “You found the all-important Ace! Now you just need a Ten to go with it, and you’ll have 21.”
Contestant: “I’ll take the (whatever) for $3.96....”

Unrealtor

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
I remember my parents commenting on the clock giving away the outcome of game play even with straddling shows. (IIRC, it was Greed and we figured that the team was going to walk away because there wasn't enough time to play the full question but they would have put that decision at the start of the next episode if they had decided to continue.)
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »
I remember my parents commenting on the clock giving away the outcome of game play even with straddling shows. (IIRC, it was Greed and we figured that the team was going to walk away because there wasn't enough time to play the full question but they would have put that decision at the start of the next episode if they had decided to continue.)

One of the clearest memories I have of watching Greed first run was when Curtis, Melissa & Dan were hanging on the decision to go on for $2 million. Once they started to recap everything that happened in the past 45 minutes, I knew something was up.

I know buyers & networks have their reasons, but I'd much rather see the game affect the airing style rather than the other way around. With many formats, particularly in the big money space, it's clear whether self-contained or straddling will be best, and yet, there's always a push to make it self-contained, even at the expense of a clean, dramatic game.

To the OP: I once put down a few of my dad's thoughts while watching Price is Right in October 2009. He was watching maybe every other day and I happened to be home from college, so I kept my mouth shut, but noted what he said. Among the quotes were: "didn't [the car prices] used to end in 5 more?" And "what does 'a year's supply of gas' mean?" (my response: I dunno)  And: "Drew gives them hints [in Clock Game] way too much." (referring to how he'd pitch his voice when the contestant was close).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck