Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: America Says enters syndie game  (Read 5657 times)

colonial

America Says enters syndie game
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
In a bit of a surprise, Deadline is reporting that GSN and Sony will offer "America Says" for first-run syndication this fall.

Deadline says it has already been picked up in 85% of U.S. markets.

JD

Chuck Sutton

Re: America Says enters syndie game
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
I read the story a couple unless I missed it nothing says first run.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »
I don't think a large company like Sony would distribute reruns. Most of your cable shows that go into syndication (i.e. Pawn Stars) are distributed by smaller outlets. I can't think of the last cable show to make the leap to first-run syndication...I think Baggage was reruns.

Is NATPE still a thing, or at least as big of a thing compared to 20 years ago? It just seems odd for a syndicator to announce a new show just three months before the fall season.

Also, is 25 Words or Less with Meredith Vieira still going national? If so, that would bring us to about a half-dozen syndicated games.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 02:23:37 PM »
With the departure of WWTBAM, timeslots  opened up.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
I saw Nexstar listed as one of the companies...Thinking WHTM in Harrisburg will plug in AS at 12:30 to replace FYSA.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
I saw Nexstar listed as one of the companies...Thinking WHTM in Harrisburg will plug in AS at 12:30 to replace FYSA.
Jimmy's explanation about timeslots for Millionaire makes sense. I could see WVBT replacing that at 3 pm.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
It'd certainly pair well with Family Feud, since they're essentially the same game.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 10:52:58 PM »
Be interested to see where it ends up in New York. Fox and CBS are mentioned, so I figure WWOR or WLNY will carry it. I would bet the latter; I don't know what their situation is with Funny You Should Ask but the hour that follows is opening up due to the cancellation of Face the Truth.

I'm more curious as to the fate of RightThisMinute...was there any word as to whether or not that was continuing beyond this season? Have to figure the ABC O&Os won't hang onto it, at least not at any decent hour.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »
I can't think of the last cable show to make the leap to first-run syndication...I think Baggage was reruns.
Double Dare?  I'm pretty sure Debt was reruns as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
I can't think of the last cable show to make the leap to first-run syndication...I think Baggage was reruns.
I've seen Cash Cab in local syndication.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »

Again NOTHING IN THE STORY SAYS FIRST RUN.  Especially  this late a date it is almost certainly reruns of GSN episodes. Just like Baggage.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »

Again NOTHING IN THE STORY SAYS FIRST RUN.  Especially  this late a date it is almost certainly reruns of GSN episodes. Just like Baggage.
Marc Berman at Programming Insider says first-run syndication.

ivoryman1986

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
What about Finders Keepers? That one went to first-run syndication as well from cable.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Yes, as did Remote Control.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »
I've seen Cash Cab in local syndication.
Reruns, IIRC. I think Mark is right about Double Dare and Finders Keepers, or Remote Control as you said. I'm honestly surprised GSN hasn't tried syndicating their more popular shows before now.