Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First look at Fox's "Spin the Wheel"  (Read 2436 times)

ed1202

First look at Fox's "Spin the Wheel"
« on: May 21, 2019, 01:50:15 AM »
https://youtu.be/IfLFXN6jAZY

Looks like an updated version of some the state lottery wheels that were used in the 80's and 90's.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: First look at Fox's "Spin the Wheel"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
There's so much wrong here.

First, is this really all there is to the show?

Second, if there isn't, this is your sizzle reel?

Third, where did Newscast Studio learn their style, from the Michael Tiller School of Broadcasting?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »
There's so much wrong here.

First, is this really all there is to the show?
They do tell you what the show is about in three words.
Travis L. Eberle

RMF

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
What should we consider more alarming- that this is basically a national version of the original format to The Big Spin, or that they seem to think so little of the actual host that we barely see him?

colonial

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »
From the description on the Fox website, "Spin the Wheel" and "The Wall" are pretty much the exact same show -- just replace one giant oversized title prop with another ...

https://www.fox.com/spin-the-wheel/

The first promo reminds me a bit of how NBC first promo'd "The Wall" -- focusing more on the executive producer and the title prop as the "face" of the show rather than the host.

I think Dax Shepard is more of a name to the mainstream viewer than Chris Hardwick -- it wouldn't hurt to have Shepard promote the show in commercials with Timberlake rather than make him "random face #12". I don't think the ad is a judgment on Shepard's hosting -- it was simply a decision to focus on the famous EP and the giant prop.

JD

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »
That promo did little to entice me. I want to give this a chance, I really do, but the fact The Big-Ass Spin is on FOX doesn't exactly sway me from thinking it'll have all the usual bullcrappery (I fully expect players to yell "SPIN THE WHEEL!" in a manner akin to "LOCK IN THOSE LYRICS!").

I think "The Big Spin with a quiz element" is a good idea, but not with this execution.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
Give the stunningly rudimentary title and the dull--despite being giganticized--wheel, it doesn't appear ol' J.T. put a lot of imagination into it. At least they made The Wall, a.k.a. Watch a Ball Fall into a Slot, look different than Plinko.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
At least they made The Wall, a.k.a. Watch a Ball Fall into a Slot, look different than Plinko.
It helps that the element of multiple balls falling at once puts the board's mechanics closer to pachinko, whereas Plinko goes one drop at a time.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Casey Buck

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Remember when Chris Clementson said if all that's needed for a game show to be successful is to give away lots of money, that state lottery game shows would be the biggest thing on television?

Stackertosh

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 12:20:13 AM »
It's like someone watched Wheel of Fortune and made the wheel 20 times bigger and cloned The Wall format. This show will be overhyped and wont last long.