Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catchphrase  (Read 4055 times)

Bob Zager

Re: Catchphrase
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
Based on my fuzzy memory from my college years, Catch Phrase never aired in Cleveland, and was only on the low budget ABC affiliate in Toledo (WNWO).  I don't recall seeing CP on any Detroit stations, either, but I think Perfect Match got paired up with Love Connection and aired against Carson &/or Letterman on WXON/20.

So all and all, Catch Phrase did not get good clearance in my neck of the woods back then.

I used to follow news/ads for syndicated game shows through Broadcasting magazine at the U of M Dearborn Library, when I was a student there.  I recall seeing an ad for Catch Phrase and was thrilled to see it was listed to be airing on WXON-TV 20 in Detroit, and that Art James was going to be the host.  It never did air on TV-20. but you are right that Perfect Match DID!

FWIW, I mentioned U of M Dearborn above, and Dearborn, MI is the birth place of Art James!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Catchphrase
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
I didn't find out until much much later that Catch Phrase was one of many shows that WCBS has tried airing in its 9 AM hour over the years. It shared the hour with Break the Bank and was one of seven game shows to occupy the hour within three years (besides Perfect Match, the other four were the Joker-TTD hour, The All-New Let's Make a Deal, and Anything For Money).

I don't know how much has actually stuck in that hour since 1984 but it seems like there's been a whole crapton of short-lived fillers, from game shows (Trump Card) to talk shows (Chuck Woolery, George Hamilton and Alana Stewart, Queen Latifah) and at least lne court program (Hot Bench, which has the spot now).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022