Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Netflix enters studio game show genre with "Awake"  (Read 1304 times)

colonial

Netflix enters studio game show genre with "Awake"
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:31:47 AM »
Remember GSN's "Cram"? How about a take on "Cram" where contestants skip sleep for 24 hours to have a chance to win a million dollars?

That's the concept of what appears to be Netflix's first original studio game show, "Awake: The Million Dollar Game," which debuts on the streaming site June 14.

https://www.netflix.com/Title/80213322

The show is hosted by James Davis, a comic who helmed "Hood Adjacent" for Comedy Central in 2017.

JD

BrandonFG

Re: Netflix enters studio game show genre with "Awake"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
I’m honestly surprised it took any of the streaming services so long to start producing a studio-based game show. Other than this, I think the only other one was “Sports Jeopardy!”

Same goes for “All My Children” and “One Life to Live”. I know they continued on as web series, but I thought Netflix would’ve been a great option, with 13-episode seasons, dropping more frequently then once a year.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!