Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When did GSN show this?  (Read 4031 times)

ezbidder

When did GSN show this?
« on: February 07, 2004, 09:52:15 PM »
http://www.freewebs.com/matchgame/mg_60s.html

how many episodes still exist and how many did GSN acquire?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 09:52:23 PM by ezbidder »

Chelsea Thrasher

When did GSN show this?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 10:40:31 PM »
They "acquired" it in the G-T least that they've had, except for a 7 month streak from Oct '97-Apr '98, the whole run of the network.  Both eps aired in Black & White Sunday night during 2000.  Apparently, GSN was feeling a bit festive that night, and decided to give us a treat.  

As for the existence:  GSN has two for sure (The two they have), and I BELIEVE they have the pilot (As do several of US).  Various museum's have, IIRC, a combined 15 or so more total (Anyone know the exact # between all the Archives and Museums?  Zach?  Bueller?)

TwoInchQuad

When did GSN show this?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 01:44:53 AM »
I've been told by someone who is familiar with the Library of Congress' collection, that there are nearly 50 different 60's MG eps that are extant (acquired directly from NBC), but which are largely uncatalogued, and therefore not displayed in any of the indices that are available to the public.

Additionally, since there's an ungodly large backlog of programs there, they probably haven't even gotten around to transferring them to tape from the original kinescopes.

The MT&R has the only videotaped episode known to exist (in color, from 1969).

-Kevin

Matt Ottinger

When did GSN show this?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 10:40:52 AM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Feb 8 2004, 02:44 AM\'] I've been told by someone who is familiar with the Library of Congress' collection, that there are nearly 50 different 60's MG eps that are extant (acquired directly from NBC), but which are largely uncatalogued, and therefore not displayed in any of the indices that are available to the public.

Additionally, since there's an ungodly large backlog of programs there, they probably haven't even gotten around to transferring them to tape from the original kinescopes.

The MT&R has the only videotaped episode known to exist (in color, from 1969).

-Kevin [/quote]
 BTW, the Library of Congress not only has dozens of Match Game shows, but they also have a healthy sampling of a lot of NBC game shows that are popularly believed to be lost, including a bunch of original Concentration.  But as Quad says, nobody's bothering to do anything with them so they probably continue to sit there as kinescopes, gathering dust and deteriorating day by day.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

passwordplus

When did GSN show this?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 01:17:07 PM »
Interesting thought that WML and Password were transferred to tape. Go figure.

rreini

When did GSN show this?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 05:30:28 AM »
Password wasn't "transferred" to tape; it was recorded that way to begin with.

JohnXXVII

When did GSN show this?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 09:55:52 PM »
These are the 60s Match Game episodes that the Library of Congress has catalogued:

12/05/62 - the pilot
01/02/63 - Arlene Francis, Skitch Henderson
06/24/63 - Florence Henderson, Henry Morgan
08/20/63 - Faye Emerson, Henry Morgan
11/21/63 - Betty White, Shelley Berman
07/28/64 - Jayne Mansfield, Orson Bean
05/19/65 - Lauren Bacall, Roger Smith
06/02/65 - Joe Garagiola, Whitey Ford
09/23/65 - Jayne Meadows, Sydney Chaplin

I don't know if they have more than these 9 episodes. This is the first time I've ever heard that 50 number. If more do exist, God knows if they'll ever be catalogued.

I requested to view two MG episodes from this list last summer, for research purposes. It took them over 5 months to transfer them to digital video tape. The ones I requested were the 6/24/63 and the 8/20/63 shows. Henry Morgan was the highlight of both; not only was he funny, he was one hell of a 60s Match Game player!  The 8/20/63 show has probably one of the greatest games from the surviving episodes, as it goes back and forth between the two teams. It ends with the winning team at $200, something Gene claimed was a record for the show at the time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:57:54 PM by JohnXXVII »