Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Behind Door No. 2: A Revamped GSN  (Read 17493 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Behind Door No. 2: A Revamped GSN
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2003, 03:18:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 01:03 PM\'] or that horrrid 2 hour block devoted to Video Games. [/quote]
 Never mind the fact this has been on weekends only for quite awhile, and is being shelved by the end of the year...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

catnap1972

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2003, 03:59:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 03:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 01:03 PM\'] or that horrrid 2 hour block devoted to Video Games. [/quote]
Never mind the fact this has been on weekends only for quite awhile, and is being shelved by the end of the year... [/quote]
 Don't count on it not returning...I wouldn't be surprised if they relaunch it on the "We're not Game Show Network" (whatever it'll be called) channel.  Maybe the suits figure the only reason it failed was because everyone was bitching that it isn't a game show.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2004, 12:34:09 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 02:52 PM\']
And yes, there are more of these niche channels popping up (Spike TV, Speed Channel, College Sports Network). But give them time until they get absorbed by a bigger company and they will become as vanilla as TBS. How many times can you really watch "Ghost" in a 2 month period?

Spike TV's owned by Viacom and Speed Channel's part of the Murdoch empire. They've already been absorbed by bigger companies. [/quote]
 Murdoch owns FOX?  Last I knew, that's who Speed Channel was run by. (and, hearing the music they use for their in-studio programs...)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2004, 12:47:12 AM »
Murdoch owns FOX? Last I knew, that's who Speed Channel was run by. (and, hearing the music they use for their in-studio programs...)

And last I knew, Fox was part of News Corporation, which is owned by Murdoch.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2004, 01:21:06 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 12:47 AM\']
Murdoch owns FOX? Last I knew, that's who Speed Channel was run by. (and, hearing the music they use for their in-studio programs...)

And last I knew, Fox was part of News Corporation, which is owned by Murdoch. [/quote]
 Here's a link that should answer any questions on who owns what:
Columbia Journalism Review

Johnissoevil

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2004, 12:19:16 PM »
Some of you are misinterpreting what's being said here.  GSN is not doing away with game shows altogether.  They will still show up on the schedule.  And even if they were doing away with them, well, I will admit, I'd be disappointed, but game shows are not the *only* classic TV material out there in reruns.  We still have TV Land, Hallmark, Trio, Nick @ Night, hell, I still watch old cartoons I grew up with sometimes on Cartoon Network and Boomerang.  And let's not forget VH1 Classic, which gives us music we grew up with.

*Jumps off my soap box, accidentally leaves two foot-shaped dents in the floor*  Oops!  Sorry! :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

GS Warehouse

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2004, 01:05:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 12:19 PM\'] *Jumps off my soap box, accidentally leaves two foot-shaped dents in the floor*  Oops!  Sorry! :-) [/quote]
 Looks like someone's been hitting the Krispy Kremes pretty hard! :-D

Gromit

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2004, 04:55:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 10:19 AM\'] We still have TV Land, Hallmark, Trio, Nick @ Night, hell, I still watch old cartoons I grew up with sometimes on Cartoon Network and Boomerang.  And let's not forget VH1 Classic, which gives us music we grew up with. [/quote]
 TV Land (nope)
Hallmark (nope)
Trio (nope)
Nick @ Night (nope)
Cartoon Network (bastardised Canadian version)
Boomerang (nope)
VH1 Classic (nope)

That's why some of us feel strongly about this.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2004, 11:16:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 03:55 AM\'] Cartoon Network (bastardised Canadian version)
 [/quote]
 Even in the USA, Cartoon Network has all but abandoned classics.  A quick look-see at their schedule shows that almost all of their classic shows run during the weekend overnight or early morning hours (Tom and Jerry cartoons and Scooby-Doo episodes being the primary exceptions).  Pretty much everything else classic has been moved to Boomerang (which, of course, my cable company won't add).   I've never seen the Canadian version of Cartoon Network (the last time I visited Canada Cartoon Network didn't exist).

Sounds like some other network in Culver City, doesn't it?  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2004, 12:42:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 11:16 AM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 03:55 AM\'] Cartoon Network (bastardised Canadian version)
 [/quote]
Even in the USA, Cartoon Network has all but abandoned classics.  A quick look-see at their schedule shows that almost all of their classic shows run during the weekend overnight or early morning hours (Tom and Jerry cartoons and Scooby-Doo episodes being the primary exceptions).  Pretty much everything else classic has been moved to Boomerang (which, of course, my cable company won't add).   I've never seen the Canadian version of Cartoon Network (the last time I visited Canada Cartoon Network didn't exist).[/quote]
The Canadian animation channel is known as Teletoon and is not owned by Time Warner.

It seems to me that a Canadian TV Land recently started on the digital tiers.

And we have to remember that CN's audience primarily remains kids, with the exception of Adult Swim, where their audience seems to want to watch old H-B characters only if they're incompetently interviewing C-list celebs, defending other H-B cartoon characters in court or speaking in non sequiturs.  If the kids prefer Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup to Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks, there's not much we can do about it.

aaron sica

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2004, 02:37:46 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 11:16 AM\'] Sounds like some other network in Culver City, doesn't it?  :)

Doug [/quote]
 Funny you should say that, I remember on a.t.g-s awhile back, T. Jay made the same comparison, and there are lot of similiarities - you could almost say that Scooby is to Cartoon Network as Match Game is to Game Show Network....

BrandonFG

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2004, 02:58:35 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 02:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 11:16 AM\'] Sounds like some other network in Culver City, doesn't it?  :)

Doug [/quote]
Funny you should say that, I remember on a.t.g-s awhile back, T. Jay made the same comparison, and there are lot of similiarities - you could almost say that Scooby is to Cartoon Network as Match Game is to Game Show Network.... [/quote]
And with the success of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, I could only imagine what GSN would put in *their* "adult" lineup...

-Playboy Channel games of the 80s?!
-Relationship shows of the 90s ("Bzzz!")?!
-Match Game 98?!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brakus

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2004, 06:17:32 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 02:58 PM\']And with the success of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, I could only imagine what GSN would put in *their* "adult" lineup...

-Playboy Channel games of the 80s?!
-Relationship shows of the 90s ("Bzzz!")?!
-Match Game 98?![/quote]
Actually, you might see some of those extreme Japanese game shows during GSN's Adult Swim (if they ever did something like that), like Endurance and Ultra Quiz, for example.

Apparently no one here is old enough to stay up to watch the anime lineup from midnight-2am Eastern and Pacific... ^-^;
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)