Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternate Timeline: Dennis James Gets the Daytime Price is Right  (Read 13254 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Alternate Timeline: Dennis James Gets the Daytime Price is Right
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »
It sounds like you could tell us, Dan.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »
I've always wondered about how the ratings for Price is Right and Another World were at 3:00. AW was the #1 soap, while TPIR was the #1 game show then.
Another World was never the #1 soap; As the World Turns was #1 for twenty straight seasons, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._daytime_soap_opera_ratings (which uses Soap Opera Encyclopedia as it source; apparently those numbers came from the Nielsen ratings).  Another World was a solid #2 or #3 during the early to mid 1970s.

TPIR didn't hit #1 until 1979-1980, per EoTVGS - in fact, it was only in the top three once until 1978-1979.

Prefaced with "outright". AW tied for the lead a couple of times, with the last coming the same year that ATWT last led the ratings pack.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

calliaume

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »
Another World was never the #1 soap; As the World Turns was #1 for twenty straight seasons, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._daytime_soap_opera_ratings (which uses Soap Opera Encyclopedia as it source; apparently those numbers came from the Nielsen ratings).  Another World was a solid #2 or #3 during the early to mid 1970s.
Prefaced with "outright". AW tied for the lead a couple of times, with the last coming the same year that ATWT last led the ratings pack.
You're correct.  I scanned through the Wikipedia article too quickly.

So, from October 1973- April 1974, the 3 PM/4 PM time slot competition looked like this:

CBS:  3:00 - The (New) Price Is Right/3:30 - Match Game '7X
NBC:  3:00 - Another World/3:30 - Return to Peyton Place/How to Survive a Marriage
ABC:  3:00 - General Hospital/One Life to Live

I would love to see what the actual ratings were for the two games during that season.  (I could scan through all the back issues of Broadcasting magazine, but I really don't have that kind of time.)  Another World had a 9.7 rating and General Hospital a 9.2; if Price was in that ballpark it means nearly 30 percent of all the households with a television set had them on at 3:00 in the afternoon and were watching one of those three programs (apparently the total number of television households in in 1974 was roughly 66.8 million).

snowpeck

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
I would love to see what the actual ratings were for the two games during that season.  (I could scan through all the back issues of Broadcasting magazine, but I really don't have that kind of time.)  Another World had a 9.7 rating and General Hospital a 9.2; if Price was in that ballpark it means nearly 30 percent of all the households with a television set had them on at 3:00 in the afternoon and were watching one of those three programs (apparently the total number of television households in in 1974 was roughly 66.8 million).

All I could find in Broadcasting were season-to-date numbers through 5/12/74, but Price had a rating of 6.4 and Match Game '74 had a 10.1. The same article had General Hospital at 9.2 and Another World at 9.6. How to Survive a Marriage had a 6.3 and One Life to Live a 7.9.

The article points out that MG74's staggering ratings are largely a result of younger viewers, saying that "took some of the bloom off the rose."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:00:14 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »
Let's say James does the daytime version up until his death in 1997.

Who takes the show over at that time?

I would say Bob Goen