Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternate Timeline: Dennis James Gets the Daytime Price is Right  (Read 5906 times)

TLEberle

• Game Maven
Re: Alternate Timeline: Dennis James Gets the Daytime Price is Right
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »
It sounds like you could tell us, Dan.
Travis L. Eberle
Director of Ludic underlings.

PYLdude

• Wardrobe furnished by Botany 500
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »
I've always wondered about how the ratings for Price is Right and Another World were at 3:00. AW was the #1 soap, while TPIR was the #1 game show then.
Another World was never the #1 soap; As the World Turns was #1 for twenty straight seasons, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._daytime_soap_opera_ratings (which uses Soap Opera Encyclopedia as it source; apparently those numbers came from the Nielsen ratings).  Another World was a solid #2 or #3 during the early to mid 1970s.

TPIR didn't hit #1 until 1979-1980, per EoTVGS - in fact, it was only in the top three once until 1978-1979.

Prefaced with "outright". AW tied for the lead a couple of times, with the last coming the same year that ATWT last led the ratings pack.
Still crazy after all these years...but that's okay.

"I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, August 2012

calliaume

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »
Another World was never the #1 soap; As the World Turns was #1 for twenty straight seasons, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._daytime_soap_opera_ratings (which uses Soap Opera Encyclopedia as it source; apparently those numbers came from the Nielsen ratings).  Another World was a solid #2 or #3 during the early to mid 1970s.
Prefaced with "outright". AW tied for the lead a couple of times, with the last coming the same year that ATWT last led the ratings pack.
You're correct.  I scanned through the Wikipedia article too quickly.

So, from October 1973- April 1974, the 3 PM/4 PM time slot competition looked like this:

CBS:  3:00 - The (New) Price Is Right/3:30 - Match Game '7X
NBC:  3:00 - Another World/3:30 - Return to Peyton Place/How to Survive a Marriage
ABC:  3:00 - General Hospital/One Life to Live

I would love to see what the actual ratings were for the two games during that season.  (I could scan through all the back issues of Broadcasting magazine, but I really don't have that kind of time.)  Another World had a 9.7 rating and General Hospital a 9.2; if Price was in that ballpark it means nearly 30 percent of all the households with a television set had them on at 3:00 in the afternoon and were watching one of those three programs (apparently the total number of television households in in 1974 was roughly 66.8 million).

snowpeck

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
I would love to see what the actual ratings were for the two games during that season.  (I could scan through all the back issues of Broadcasting magazine, but I really don't have that kind of time.)  Another World had a 9.7 rating and General Hospital a 9.2; if Price was in that ballpark it means nearly 30 percent of all the households with a television set had them on at 3:00 in the afternoon and were watching one of those three programs (apparently the total number of television households in in 1974 was roughly 66.8 million).

All I could find in Broadcasting were season-to-date numbers through 5/12/74, but Price had a rating of 6.4 and Match Game '74 had a 10.1. The same article had General Hospital at 9.2 and Another World at 9.6. How to Survive a Marriage had a 6.3 and One Life to Live a 7.9.

The article points out that MG74's staggering ratings are largely a result of younger viewers, saying that "took some of the bloom off the rose."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:00:14 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »
Let's say James does the daytime version up until his death in 1997.

Who takes the show over at that time?

I would say Bob Goen