Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If James Holzhauer were playing the 1978-1979 version...  (Read 2119 times)

Bob Zager

If James Holzhauer were playing the 1978-1979 version...
« on: May 04, 2019, 12:45:36 PM »
I went through the first five games James played, and divided the combined J! and DJ! earnings by eight, and assumed if he won all five trips to the Super Jeopardy! board under the 1978-1979 series rules, his five-day total would be approximately $77,393!

Of course, it could've been more, when you take into consideration the lowest scoring player from round 1 was eliminated from the game back then!

calliaume

Re: If James Holzhauer were playing the 1978-1979 version...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:20:12 PM »
I'll throw out a counterargument.  Holzhauer has done a great job of gaining knowledge in almost everything, which is what the current version wants.  (This would be a great argument for keeping around that old World Book encyclopedia, or browsing through Britannica for Children or Young Adults.)

I'm not sure that would have worked as well there -- apparently the tryouts for that version took deeper dives in various subjects.  I recently spoke with someone who tried out for the 1978-79 version, and was asked ten questions that were a good background fit.  The second subject:  Metallurgy.  Bye!

Jeremy Nelson

Re: If James Holzhauer were playing the 1978-1979 version...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »
Of course, it could've been more, when you take into consideration the lowest scoring player from round 1 was eliminated from the game back then!
It could actually be  less, since Super Jeopardy meant the first two board rarely, if ever,  be completed.

That being said, since he eats all the high dollar value clues at the beginning anyway, it probably all balances out. 
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.