Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about Temptation (the new Sale of the Century)  (Read 2559 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Question about Temptation (the new Sale of the Century)
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
I'm watching a champion accumulate more and more Temptation Dollars in 2007's Temptation. As he gets closer and closer to the car and repeatedly opts to return for the next episode, Rossi keeps implying that he's risking everything. If I remember correctly, on the champion's final appearance, Rossi even said that if he lost, he would go away "empty-handed."

Was Rossi just misstating the stakes to make everything sound more dramatic? Or did returning champions who eventually lost the main game also lose all of their Instant Bargains and Instant Cash?

SuperMatch93

Re: Question about Temptation (the new Sale of the Century)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
Most likely he was misstating. I've never heard anything that suggested that losing forfeited the main game prizes.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
My guess is he meant empty-handed in that the Temptation Dollars are about as valuable as redemption tickets for an arcade that has gone out of business if a champion loses the next day. It is possible that he wasn't as eloquent as he could be but I never thought that all of the gift shop stuff was at risk, because who would ever play on unless it was Sydney or the bush?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »
Then again, did they ever mention what an outgoing champion had won if indeed he/she had indulged in buying items or won the Instant Cash?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Allstar87

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »
Then again, did they ever mention what an outgoing champion had won if indeed he/she had indulged in buying items or won the Instant Cash?

They did in at least one episode. Relevant portion at 20:31.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-iAbqMCW-Q

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »

Yes. Main game earnings are still untouched. It’s the $Temptation that’s at risk - even with their five day limit.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »
Yes. Main game earnings are still untouched. It’s the $Temptation that’s at risk - even with their five day limit.

If one won on the fifth day without enough dough for the car, he could still buy whichever prize he could afford, right?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:33:48 PM »
Yes.
Travis L. Eberle