Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL 2019 has a host!  (Read 29321 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Re: PYL 2019 has a host!
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
minimal marginal excitement
I wouldn't be against a bonus game if it wasn't designed to eat a full 20-30 minutes of airtime and removed the "competitive" part of "TV's most competitive game." Also, having the number of required spins decrease in each bonus leg feels less interesting than the other way around.

I don't know if you could fit a third full round or some sort of additional catch-up mechanism, but what they look to be doing seems a little too simple.
This signature is currently under construction.

Stackertosh

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »
I have to admit ABC really did a good job with the sets keeping them classic as well as modern

I wonder who the announcer is?

weaklink75

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
The spin structure in the bonus round has been removed from the article due to conflicting audience reports, so they might have made an adjustment mid-series.

If they changed it from 6-5-4-3-2-1 to 5-4-3-3-3-3 like the article, it makes the decisions a little more interesting- if you're at $300K or so going into the last round with the $100K top value, you still could get to the $500K mark and the million- but you know you'll have to spin at least three times. Do you risk it? (and that's why having the frontgame winnings be safe is good- people will be more likely to gamble knowing they still have something if they Whammy out, possibly in the $40K-$50K range...)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
minimal marginal excitement
I wouldn't be against a bonus game if it wasn't designed to eat a full 20-30 minutes of airtime and removed the "competitive" part of "TV's most competitive game." Also, having the number of required spins decrease in each bonus leg feels less interesting than the other way around.

I don't know if you could fit a third full round or some sort of additional catch-up mechanism, but what they look to be doing seems a little too simple.
As silly-simple as Beat the Devil was in the 70s and 80s (grin through a scroll of a bunch of prizes you may or may not want! Pull the level until you see enough money on the scoreboard or the mascot bad guy shows up!) it was a nice way to break up what could be the monotony of game-game-game, and the money-count-into-palm is always a good way to cap off the round, and the way that Snoop adds the $1,000 packets to the pile of bucks for the contestant to stop with $8,500 on the screen makes it interesting. I don't think that there is anything interesting enough to cut out the first question round, and a third round dilutes the excitement of round two.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:24:55 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
I don't think that there is anything interesting enough to cut out the first question round
Not disagreeing, but at an event where I could get away with doing such a thing, I pulled inspiration from the Expert Edition game and as part of contestant introduction, I rolled the board after each interview and whatever they stopped on was their spin total for the first Big Board round (amounts were 3-10 spins)
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2019, 03:46:47 AM »
Second Chance had that wrinkle of writing down the answer that made the question round much more interesting.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2019, 08:36:44 AM »
Second Chance had that wrinkle of writing down the answer that made the question round much more interesting.

It also made each question segment about three times longer than it needed to be.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

aaron sica

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
Looks like we're getting to see some whammy fun a day early - ABC is presenting a "special preview" on June 11 @ 10pm EST, right after "The Bachelorette".

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
Looks like we're getting to see some whammy fun a day early - ABC is presenting a "special preview" on June 11 @ 10pm EST, right after "The Bachelorette".

I should add that this airdate is in flux temporarily depending on if the NBA finals goes to a Game 5 or not, from the press release...

Quote from: ABC Press Release
Editor’s note: The scheduling change for “The Bachelorette” followed by the new premiere date of “Press Your Luck” is pending a Game 5 of the NBA Finals, scheduled for Monday, June 10. If there is not a Game 5, both episodes will air Monday, June 10 (8:00-11:00 p.m. EDT).

weaklink75

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »

I should add that this airdate is in flux temporarily depending on if the NBA finals goes to a Game 5 or not, from the press release...

Quote from: ABC Press Release
Editor’s note: The scheduling change for “The Bachelorette” followed by the new premiere date of “Press Your Luck” is pending a Game 5 of the NBA Finals, scheduled for Monday, June 10. If there is not a Game 5, both episodes will air Monday, June 10 (8:00-11:00 p.m. EDT).

I think the original date will hold- it won't be a sweep (most of the experts have Warriors in 6, and I tend to agree)...ABC must be really confident in this, which is a great sign..

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »
I think the original date will hold- it won't be a sweep (most of the experts have Warriors in 6, and I tend to agree)...ABC must be really confident in this, which is a great sign..
You misspelled "Raptors." 😀

/Not a bitter Cavs fan.
//The Warriors were up 3-1 in 2016.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
Since there is a Game 5, the premiere will indeed be on Tuesday June 10th at 10:01pm.

Neumms

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 05:28:27 PM »
As silly-simple as Beat the Devil was in the 70s and 80s (grin through a scroll of a bunch of prizes you may or may not want! Pull the level until you see enough money on the scoreboard or the mascot bad guy shows up!) it was a nice way to break up what could be the monotony of game-game-game, and the money-count-into-palm is always a good way to cap off the round, and the way that Snoop adds the $1,000 packets to the pile of bucks for the contestant to stop with $8,500 on the screen makes it interesting.

Come to think of it, this new PYL bonus game deal could be great on Joker's Wild.

tyshaun1

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »
As silly-simple as Beat the Devil was in the 70s and 80s (grin through a scroll of a bunch of prizes you may or may not want! Pull the level until you see enough money on the scoreboard or the mascot bad guy shows up!) it was a nice way to break up what could be the monotony of game-game-game, and the money-count-into-palm is always a good way to cap off the round, and the way that Snoop adds the $1,000 packets to the pile of bucks for the contestant to stop with $8,500 on the screen makes it interesting.

Come to think of it, this new PYL bonus game deal could be great on Joker's Wild.

Color me stunned if there was another season of STJW.

BillCullen1

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
A friend of mine who was at a taping tells me Jeffrey Tambor announces the prizes that are won.