Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL 2019 has a host!  (Read 29341 times)

gamed121683

PYL 2019 has a host!
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
News has broken about the host of ABC’s Press Your Luck revival this summer. First there was Peter Tomarken, then Todd Newton took the reigns on the rechristened “Whammy”, and now here’s your new host....the lady from the Realtor.com commercials!

https://www.thewrap.com/elizabeth-banks-to-host-abcs-press-your-luck-reboot/

calliaume

Re: PYL 2019 has a host!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
Elizabeth Banks.

Sounds like a pretty good call to me.  Most of the question round is read off cards, and she has a background in improvisation, as much of her Pitch Perfect role with John Michael Higgins was off the cuff.  It's about time one of the ABC games got a female host - she's as good a choice as I can think of.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
News has broken about the host of ABC’s Press Your Luck revival this summer. First there was Peter Tomarken, then Todd Newton took the reigns on the rechristened “Whammy”, and now here’s your new host....the lady from the Realtor.com commercials!

https://www.thewrap.com/elizabeth-banks-to-host-abcs-press-your-luck-reboot/

Interesting choice and a pretty big name, too. She seems to have a dry sense of humor, which can work well for the show. PYL is a game that needs its host to know when to have fun and when to take it seriously, hopefully she can bring that balance.

Tyshaun

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:53:15 PM »
Elizabeth Banks.
Curt: Thank you for actually saying the name so I didn't have to click the link/guess interminably. Gold star.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
Elizabeth Banks.
Curt: Thank you for actually saying the name so I didn't have to click the link/guess interminably. Gold star.
Its quite clear who the host is by reading the hyperlink.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
I was hoping for Jim Peck, but we shall see.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:33:58 PM »
Elizabeth Banks.
Its quite clear who the host is by reading the hyperlink.

Yes, but we're a discussion board. It's even easier to type out the name in the post (because one has already made the effort to do more than copy/paste the link), and let those who want to read the article click through to get more information. I agree with Travis that it's odd when we get posts that basically have the subject "Guess what??" - that makes it hard to recall & find the discussion months later.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »

No, they weren't going to get an "old school" host. I thought they might get Todd Newton since he was probably available. So now that they have a host, they should start taping soon. I wonder if 1iota or OCA is handling the ticket requests for this out in La-la-land.

Stackertosh

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:16 PM »

I would love to see Todd Newton host Press Your Luck or even Card Sharks.

Abc is going after big names to host their Game Shows.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
No, they weren't going to get an "old school" host. I thought they might get Todd Newton since he was probably available.
Two of the last national gigs Todd Newton had, he was relegated to "sidekick" roles between commercials: delivering contest prizes on Gameshow Marathon and hosting mini-games on Monopoly Millionaires Club. I say this as a fan who believes he deserved the main and other hosting roles: they're going for name recognition, which has unfortunately eluded Todd. Not too many people outside of this forum remember a third-tier cable revival from nearly 20 years ago.

I believe it's also the reason he didn't get the TPiR job.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ITSBRY

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
Interesting. I thought I’d read somewhere that Ryan Seacrest was hosting and that they’re eliminating the question round. Must have rethought that decision. Hope they follow the other revivals and stick to the classic format.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »
Interesting. I thought I’d read somewhere that Ryan Seacrest was hosting and that they’re eliminating the question round. Must have rethought that decision. Hope they follow the other revivals and stick to the classic format.
I think that the one good decision Whammy! made was to ditch the questions in round one and just tuck in for the big board they way they did. I don't think that three rounds of spinning is any better than two, plus they have the end game as well.
Travis L. Eberle

DoItRockapella

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »

That was an April fools joke on BuzzerBlog in 2018.

As for Elizabeth Banks...I definitely would not have thought of her, but I'll try to reserve judgement. As long as you're not risking your main game winnings to play it, I have no problem with PYL adding a bonus round.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
Certainly not on the level of Dick Clark to Host Syndicated Millionaire--I had no idea that's where the original reportage came from.
Travis L. Eberle

DoItRockapella

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 10:37:43 PM »