Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1978 Feud Article  (Read 2904 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
1978 Feud Article
« on: April 29, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
Came across this while searching for something else.  This very lengthy article hints at the caustic relationship between Dawson and Felsher, as well as a neat anecdote about the stupid contestants who said "frog" and "alligator" when asked to name an animal with three letters in it.  Other interesting tidbits as well.

Link.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Otm Shank

Re: 1978 Feud Article
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:59:36 PM »
It "may not be a test of knowledge, but at least it is not a test of tastelessness."

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
It "may not be a test of knowledge, but at least it is not a test of tastelessness."

Well, keep in mind that many journalists/critics still tended to look down their noses at game shows in general...plus there were still people utterly shocked by the terms "boobs", "tinkle" and "whoopie" in 1978...

Can you imagine what this writer would have thought of the Steve Harvey version?

JakeT

jalman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »

Can you imagine what this writer would have thought of the Steve Harvey version?

JakeT
Tom Shales? Seeing he already saw TPIR as crass, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have harsh words for current Feud. I do recall Shales praising Pyramid, too.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 07:30:59 AM »
Considering what types of questions and answers are on today's Feud........to think ABC wanted to cut out "Toilet Paper". What a different time it was in 1978....

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 09:22:06 AM »
The phrase "game show" may justifiably conjure gross images of self-degradation in the pursuit of loot; it isn't very inspiring to see how one's fellow American's will stoop for a lousy trip to Puerto Vallarta.

I don’t understand this. With the exception of maybe Newlywed and Dating Game, what exactly did game shows do in the mid to late 1970s that warranted this type of description? I’ve seen game shows referred to in a similar way in several articles/media outlets from this time period. Seems unfair in hindsight.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
Best I can think of is either Gong Show or Let's Make a Deal. I guess I had to be there, but I don't get how dressing up as a banana to win prizes meant the downfall of humanity, esp. when dressing in costume was a contestant's idea. And it seems that most critics didn't get that Gong was more or less a spoof of talent shows.

The game shows were no worse than many of the soap operas and sitcoms of that day. Especially the sitcoms.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »
I don’t understand this. With the exception of maybe Newlywed and Dating Game, what exactly did game shows do in the mid to late 1970s that warranted this type of description? I’ve seen game shows referred to in a similar way in several articles/media outlets from this time period. Seems unfair in hindsight.

Dude's knob* is clearly broken off tuned to his local PBS station.

/*I mean his tuning knob
//or do I
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

RMF

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
Best I can think of is either Gong Show or Let's Make a Deal. I guess I had to be there, but I don't get how dressing up as a banana to win prizes meant the downfall of humanity, esp. when dressing in costume was a contestant's idea. And it seems that most critics didn't get that Gong was more or less a spoof of talent shows.

The game shows were no worse than many of the soap operas and sitcoms of that day. Especially the sitcoms.

A few points of some relevance:

1) For a considerable number of those who were reviewing television from the 1950s onward, pretty much any game show dealing with merchandise was considered to be crass- look at the reviews of the original Price Is Right on the Bill Cullen website.

2) As for the game shows the reviewers had in mind: in addition to Deal and the works of Chuck Barris, there are a couple of other obvious targets. Truth or Consequences fits a lot of the commentary about the degrading aspects of the genre, and a line I've seen in some of these critiques (really easy questions) matches a critique we've had about question-writing on some 1970s game shows in retrospective.

3) As for the soap opera and sitcom point- remember that a lot of the critics in question hated those too.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
Forgive what might be perceived as a stupid question: do people actually listen to or take advice from media reviewers?
Travis L. Eberle

jalman

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 04:37:22 PM »
Forgive what might be perceived as a stupid question: do people actually listen to or take advice from media reviewers?
Maybe? I'm leaning towards "Yes" or else Siskel & Ebert's "Two Thumbs Up" wouldn't be a thing.

All media? As far as television criticism, it, a medium that somehow has the nicknames "boob tube" and "idiot's lantern" has historically had been the lesser medium compared to movies. Whenever I read (older?) professional critics' pieces on TV shows that ain't dramas, I'm prepared to sigh at the snobbery.

I'm reminded of Roger Ebert's comments on his reviews: his essays aren't supposed to be the ultimate judgment of a work, but his sharing his perspective and trying to argue whether a work is worthy of a moviegoer's time. (or something like that, I have to look it up)

As far as today's millienials, popular YouTuber are influencers about stuff they consumer. As an avid video gamer, I notice gaming-related influencers can get a wide audience if they're witty and entertaining enough. On some forums I read, some people tout YouTubers with their personable presentation and "real" opinions as so much better than those at more established outlets like IGN/Gamespot/etc.

Anyway, as someone who dabbled in media criticism, reviews can be useful even if I don't agree with the writer's views if they're thought-provoking. Consumers should always have a discerning mind when looking for some sort of recommendation.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
I liked the TV Guide critics in the 60s and 70s.  If Cleveland Amory or Judith Crist raved about something, I trusted their judgement.  Variety also had astute reviewers.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »
I would think it's a challenge to write news or feature stories and be an opinion writer at the same time, like Shales was at this point.  (That's similar to Howard Cosell, who did his daily opinion pieces at the same time as being a color commentary announcer for MNF.)  It's obvious in this story the two jobs are bleeding together a bit.

I think Jefferson Graham picked up a couple of quotes from this one for his book.

JakeT

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »

Keep in mind that the critics utterly savaged "The New Treasure Hunt" as well so that may have been in the back of his mind as well...

Imagine if he had waited to write his article until the premieres of "3's A Crowd"?

JakeT