Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bizarre AV Club article about Jeopardy!  (Read 3480 times)

SuperMatch93

Bizarre AV Club article about Jeopardy!
« on: April 28, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
I hadn't realized this was enough of a problem to warrant the producers actually mentioning it, but there you go:

https://news.avclub.com/jeopardy-producers-have-stripped-contestants-of-their-1834356162
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

DoItRockapella

Re: Bizarre AV Club article about Jeopardy!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
Producers are apparently now also banning any or all shoutouts\personal messages during Final Jeopardy:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/rules-change-shout-outs-no-longer-allowed-in-final-jeopardy.html

Honestly, James Holzhauer has broken the game so throughly that I wouldn't be surprised if major rule changes are coming.

Casey Buck

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
RIP Malcolm Jackpot.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »
Producers are apparently now also banning any or all shoutouts\personal messages during Final Jeopardy:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/rules-change-shout-outs-no-longer-allowed-in-final-jeopardy.html

Honestly, James Holzhauer has broken the game so throughly that I wouldn't be surprised if major rule changes are coming.
Such as what? What else can they do? Ties are gone, the chat segments are so awkward and stilted that there's not enough for me to care about any of the constants positively or negatively--maybe put all three players in their own isolation box, I guess.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
Such as what? What else can they do?

As I've said before, if Jeopardy really thinks the game is "broken" because of the way this guy plays it, an obvious rule change would be that the categories have to be played from top to bottom.   As I've also said, Jeopardy is loving this attention and isn't going to change anything so radically.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
I'm not talking specifically about playing top-down, bottom-up or hopscotch--that's never bothered me as a viewer in terms of following the game. As to things like disallowing certain dollar amounts in wagering or the little shout-out messages in Final Jeopardy it feels like fixing non-existent problems (if racists are getting on the show and using FJ to signal to the world, maybe that is a thing to bring up at performance review time.) When I say "What else can they do?" I mean other than having bets always ending in -00, and stuff like that.
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:56:27 PM »
As I've said before, if Jeopardy really thinks the game is "broken" because of the way this guy plays it, an obvious rule change would be that the categories have to be played from top to bottom.   As I've also said, Jeopardy is loving this attention and isn't going to change anything so radically.
Exactly.  We're not privy to Jeopardy's budget, but it would seem the increase in publicity- and ratings - would more than offset the money lost, even if that doesn't necessarily transfer to Sony's coffers.  I'm not worried about Sony going broke because he's winning more money than anyone thought possible.  Now, if it's this time next year and James Holzhauer is still the champion, that's something else again.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:53:12 PM »
Personally, I'm not too worried about major rule changes just because of James. I'd only really be concerned if/when Alex leaves the show.

And hey, if Sony's concerned about money they can just mess with Wheel of Fortune some more (lord knows I have my suspicions given how the two shows are produced and treated).

Ties are gone,
Co-champions are gone. Ties still result in a Tiebreaker clue. Major difference, I'd say.

Such as what? What else can they do?
Reinstate the five-day limit, oust returning champs entirely, revert the format to the 1978-79 style...

maybe put all three players in their own isolation box, I guess.
Isn't that what the Italian version did? Or were those cylinders just for aesthetic?

Still, you could accomplish pretty much the same thing by letting each player see only their own score, as the British version did.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 11:15:40 PM »
And hey, if Sony's concerned about money they can just mess with Wheel of Fortune some more (lord knows I have my suspicions given how the two shows are produced and treated).
I believe you've made this complaint before, and I don't get it. I'll admit the show has been on cruise control for about 20 years, but at the same time, you take away the ideas they've rolled out the last few seasons, and it's even more lather-rinse-repeat.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 11:22:33 PM »
Ties are gone,
Co-champions are gone. Ties still result in a Tiebreaker clue. Major difference, I'd say.

That's exactly what Travis was saying. The game ending in a tie is no longer a thing.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 11:43:01 PM »
Personally, I'm not too worried about major rule changes just because of James. I'd only really be concerned if/when Alex leaves the show.

They can always go back to the Bob Goen CBS Wheel values...

chrisholland03

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
I wouldn't mind if they went back to the self-spinning wheel and camera in the rafters, personally.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
I'll admit the show has been on cruise control for about 20 years
I don't understand how that's a knock against Wheel of Fortune when Jeopardy has been on "cruise control" for possibly even longer and no one seems to complain.
This signature is currently under construction.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »
Someone in the Facebook comments made an interesting point. You can't wager $69, but presumably wagering $31 and getting it wrong on purpose is still allowed.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 09:31:40 PM »
Someone in the Facebook comments made an interesting point. You can't wager $69, but presumably wagering $31 and getting it wrong on purpose is still allowed.

But how many wins were created because of $69 wagers? Strategy-wise...