Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: James Holzhauer: Jeopardy's secret weapon against Family Feud?  (Read 3521 times)

johnnya2k3

Unless if you were just back from Mars, James Holzhauer has been on a reign of terror on Jeopardy! faster than you can say Ken Jennings, breaking one-day records (his first eclipsing Michael Larson's that stood for 35 years), betting all or almost all on his Daily Doubles, and now, reaching the $1 million mark...and that's all in a span of two weeks!

But I think the real reason James has been kicking ass? He's been helping Jeopardy do the same ratingwise against Family Feud...and it's working! According to the Nielsen syndication ratings for the week ending 4/14, Jeopardy! edged out Feud 6.4 to 6.0, which is a 5% increase. Of course, this comes as the national advertising sales for Feud will soon be handled by CBS Television Distribution.

As far as James' winning ways are concerned? I'm sure at some point he'll falter and give the other two contestants a chance to dethrone him. For right now, we'll just have to ride it out.

BrandonFG

Re: James Holzhauer: Jeopardy's secret weapon against Family Feud?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:52:14 AM »
Maybe I need sleep, because I don't know what in the hell any of this means.

Unless if you were just back from Mars, James Holzhauer has been on a reign of terror on Jeopardy! faster than you can say Ken Jennings, breaking one-day records (his first eclipsing Michael Larson's that stood for 35 years)[/i]
You do realize that there's been at least a couple dozen game show contestants who have won six-figures in one day, right? Daytime and primetime, there's several people who eclipsed Michael Larson since 1984. I'm sure you were going for something here, but Words Have Meanings and all.

But I think the real reason James has been kicking ass? He's been helping Jeopardy do the same ratingwise against Family Feud...and it's working! According to the Nielsen syndication ratings for the week ending 4/14, Jeopardy! edged out Feud 6.4 to 6.0, which is a 5% increase. Of course, this comes as the national advertising sales for Feud will soon be handled by CBS Television Distribution.
None of these sentences have anything to do with one another. It's just one giant word salad of opinions with a couple facts as croutons. You ask the reason James kicks ass, but never give an answer. He's a professional gambler, hence the large wagers. Yes, his strategy and winning gets people watching. Ken Jennings had the effect 15 years ago. What does Family Feud getting a new distributor have to do with anything? The ghost of Rod Roddy is currently asking me if I'm confused, and the answer is yes.

As far as James' winning ways are concerned? I'm sure at some point he'll falter and give the other two contestants a chance to dethrone him. For right now, we'll just have to ride it out.
Wow much insightful very entertain 12/10
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:57:58 AM »
No, you don’t need more sleep necessarily—Jonathan Allen needs to post less and watch Pat O’Brien more. Everything he wrote was obvious and his insight is non-existent. All it proves that Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing works and JA needs to get a blog. Or a cat. Maybe both.
Travis L. Eberle

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:10:23 AM »
These are all most certainly words.

But the ratings have some weight.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:51:34 AM »
To what? Jeopardy can’t really put a particular person in a particular time. He got the effect and cause mixed up.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 05:43:03 AM »
Oh, but that floating head will give you nightmares...

Oh wait. You said Mavis Beacon. My bad. I'm half awake.

(Isn't the daytime record at least close to double Larson's total now?)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »
(Isn't the daytime record at least close to double Larson's total now?)

Indeed. Christen Freeman won $213,876 on Price in 2016, and the daytime top ten currently are all higher than Larson.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
Just Johnny flexing his "look at what all I know!" muscles again, with nothing new to add to the conversation. Go watch some CBS Sports from the 1990's. Lots of Pat O'Brien there. That guy's great.

Fedya

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 08:07:21 AM »
I'd rather watch him with James Cagney, thank you very much.  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »
JA needs to get a blog. Or a cat. Maybe both.

Blogs and cats living together?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »

Mass hysteria.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »
Oh wait. You said Mavis Beacon. My bad. I'm half awake.
I did. I was riffing on the "that's not writing that's typing" diss by Truman Capote in the direction of Jack Kerouac.

"Jeopardy's secret weapon" has been celebrated by the show to the point where they created a banner image with "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" in giant font using the logo-letters typeface. He has been featured on social-media in the lead-up to his games. That is quite literally the least secret thing they could do. Everything that flows from that point is just claptrap.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »
Unless if you were just back from Mars, James Holzhauer has been on a reign of terror on Jeopardy!

James Holzhauer has been on a reign of terror on Jeopardy! regardless of whether or not you've recently been to Mars.  No 'unless if' about it.

/Piling on, I know.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 02:58:16 PM »

Mass hysteria.
The videos might be entertaining though...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
James Holzhauer has been on a reign of terror on Jeopardy! regardless of whether or not you've recently been to Mars.  No 'unless if' about it.

Although if I've recently been to Mars, "Jeopardy!" has been preempted in some areas due to news coverage of, you know, the first human on Mars.
trainman is a man of trains