Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic HSQ on GSN  (Read 9229 times)

1978-Jeopardy

Classic HSQ on GSN
« on: February 07, 2004, 11:04:38 AM »
Does GSN still have rights the classic HSQ? Are they just choosing not to air them? Do they have any plans to air them in the future?

snowpeck

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think GSN has the rights to air it anymore.  Lackluster ratings caused them not to renew.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tyshaun1

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 11:47:25 AM »
[quote name=\'1978-Jeopardy\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 11:04 AM\'] Does GSN still have rights the classic HSQ? Are they just choosing not to air them? Do they have any plans to air them in the future? [/quote]
 GSN decided that Marshall HSQ wasn't drawing in the "demographics" they liked (along with ratings). So they pulled it, replaced it with Bergeron's Squares, and have no plans to reair them. Stick a fork in them, they're done.

Tyshaun

1978-Jeopardy

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 12:34:17 PM »
Does GSN ever plan to air the $20,000 pyramid again?

gameshowguy2000

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 01:49:52 PM »
OK, They've aired the Marshall Squares, and the Bergeron Squares.

Next stop: The Davidson Squares! (Ding ding! GSN Train takes off with GSN fans aboard, hoping that GSN will get the rights to THAT version.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 02:50:08 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 11:49 AM\'] Next stop: The Davidson Squares! (Ding ding! GSN Train takes off with GSN fans aboard, hoping that GSN will get the rights to THAT version.) [/quote]
 Speak for yourself. That's one train I won't be riding.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 03:12:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 02:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 11:49 AM\'] Next stop: The Davidson Squares! (Ding ding! GSN Train takes off with GSN fans aboard, hoping that GSN will get the rights to THAT version.) [/quote]
Speak for yourself. That's one train I won't be riding. [/quote]
Should we say that that's one train headed for a wreck. (rimshot)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 07:25:19 PM »
[quote name=\'1978-Jeopardy\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 12:34 PM\'] Does GSN ever plan to air the $20,000 pyramid again? [/quote]
 'Twould be nice to see that again, as there are at least a couple hundred episodes of that unaired on GSN as yet. Seems like they're more interested in airing $100K these days, and with Osmond Pyramid cancelled, GSN would be more likely to pick that up if available than to air 25 year old ABC shows.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 02:03:14 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] Next stop: The Davidson Squares! [/quote]
 You know, I was thinking about this the other day--and I don't think it would be a bad move.  If you were 13 in 1986, you'd be...31 today...and that'd just reach the upper echelon of the coveted 18-34 demos.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PeterMarshallFan

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 8 2004, 03:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] Next stop: The Davidson Squares! [/quote]
You know, I was thinking about this the other day--and I don't think it would be a bad move.  If you were 13 in 1986, you'd be...31 today...and that'd just reach the upper echelon of the coveted 18-34 demos. [/quote]
 I actually agree with you this time, Don. As cheezy as the humor was, Davidson HS wasn't a half-bad way to spend a half hour and that is an excellent point about the "demographics" being right.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 07:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 8 2004, 01:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 8 2004, 03:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] Next stop: The Davidson Squares! [/quote]
You know, I was thinking about this the other day--and I don't think it would be a bad move.  If you were 13 in 1986, you'd be...31 today...and that'd just reach the upper echelon of the coveted 18-34 demos. [/quote]
I actually agree with you this time, Don. As cheezy as the humor was, Davidson HS wasn't a half-bad way to spend a half hour and that is an excellent point about the "demographics" being right. [/quote]
 And actually, I rather enjoyed Season 1 (1986-87).  The other two seasons just weren't as good (and by no coincidence, those were the Joan Rivers years).  Of course, "weren't as good" is in the eye of the beholder.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 09:59:28 AM »
Next stop: The Davidson Squares! (Ding ding! GSN Train takes off with GSN fans aboard, hoping that GSN will get the rights to THAT version.) 

Speak for yourself. That's one train I won't be riding.

I know I'm in the minority, but I rather liked Davidson's version.  OK, maybe it wasn't as good as the original, but I wouldn't mind seeing it on GSN eventually.  It would probably do better in the ratings because the audience would likely be more familiar with the stars.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 10:10:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 09:59 AM\']

I know I'm in the minority, but I rather liked Davidson's version.  OK, maybe it wasn't as good as the original, but I wouldn't mind seeing it on GSN eventually.  It would probably do better in the ratings because the audience would likely be more familiar with the stars. [/quote]
 Some of the stars, perhaps. But a lot of Davidson's Squares celebrities, as Joan Rivers pointed out when interviewed on last year's E! Hollywood story, weren't even known to her at the time. Granted some of the celebs on Win Lose or Draw or $100K Pyramid from the same era weren't exactly megastars at the time.

snowpeck

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 08:18:04 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 8 2004, 03:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 8 2004, 03:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] Next stop: The Davidson Squares! [/quote]
I actually agree with you this time, Don. As cheezy as the humor was, Davidson HS wasn't a half-bad way to spend a half hour and that is an excellent point about the "demographics" being right. [/quote]
 Well I'm 19 (in GSN's coveted age group) and although I was only 4 years old when it was cancelled, I can very well remember watching it.  

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

inturnaround

Classic HSQ on GSN
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 09:48:40 PM »
I was born in 1977 and Davidson Squares is really the first Squares I remember. Sure the stars often weren't very well known (even less so today) and the humor was cheesy and the Friday Members Only Jackets were horrible, but I liked it all the same.

I refuse to apologize for digging it. Besides, any game where the SFX mock you for not winning the car is aces in my book.
Joe Coughlin     
Human