Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Wall and Hollytwood Gamne Night return  (Read 5497 times)

Chuck Sutton

The Wall and Hollytwood Gamne Night return
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:53:15 AM »
NBC announced the return dates for The Wall and  Hollywood Game Night(after 2 years.)  It will be interesting to see if the other episodes of Game Night will be as dated as the one they already showed.

"THE WALL"

· Premiere: Thursday, June 20 at 8-9 p.m. ET/PT (one-time episode at 9-10 p.m. on June 20 as well)

· Last season "The Wall" averaged a 1.2 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.0 million viewers overall in L+7 Nielsens, including season highs with the show's Feb. 5 season finale. That telecast rose in L+7 Nielsens to a 1.6 in 18-49 and 7.2 million viewers overall to match the highest "Wall" rating in 18-49 since Feb. 21, 2017 and generate the show's most-watched episode since Jan. 24, 2017.

· "The Wall" is the fastest and simplest game with more than $12 million on the line every night - and up to $3 million on a single heart-stopping drop. At four-stories high, "The Wall" was built for one purpose - to change peoples' lives in an instant.

· LeBron James, Chris Hardwick, Maverick Carter and Andrew Glassman executive produce.

· "The Wall" is a collaboration between Glassman Media and SpringHill. "The Wall" was developed by Glassman Media in conjunction with CORE Media and produced in association with Universal Television Alternative Studio.

"HOLLYWOOD GAME NIGHT"

· Premiere: Thursday, July 11 at 9-10 p.m. ET/PT

· "Hollywood Game Night" most recently aired the night of NBC's 2018 "Red Nose Day" special and captured a 0.9 rating and 3.8 million viewers overall in "live plus seven day" Nielsens. During the show's most recent full season during summer 2017, "Hollywood Game Night" averaged a 1.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 4.7 million viewers overall in L+7, for a jump of +38% in 18-49 and +1.6 million persons or +50% versus the show's spring-summer averages for the prior year (0.8 in 18-49, 3.2 million viewers overall).

· "Hollywood Game Night," hosted by Emmy Award and Golden Globe winner Jane Lynch, returns for a sixth season with a variety of actors, performers and familiar faces, including "The Good Place's" Jameela Jamil, D'Arcy Carden and Marc Evan Jackson; "World of Dance's" Derek Hough and NE-YO; "This Is Us" stars Chris Sullivan, Jon Huertas and Susan Kelechi Watson; "Superstore's" Ben Feldman, Colton Dunn, Lauren Ash and Nico Santos; "American Ninja Warrior" hosts Matt Iseman and Akbar Gbajabiamila; and "NBC Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt as well as Amanda Seales, Joel McHale, Kal Penn, Laverne Cox, Rob Riggle and Sasheer Zamata, among many others.

· Sean Hayes, Todd Milliner, Michael Agbabian, Dwight D. Smith and Michael Binkow are executive producers.

· "Hollywood Game Night" is produced by Hazy Mills Productions, Mission Control Media and Universal Television.

Unrealtor

Re: The Wall and Hollytwood Gamne Night return
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Apparently, the producers of HGN were certain enough that it was over that they trashed the original set during the hiatus.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

That Don Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:53:00 PM »
For whatever reason, all episodes of The Wall this season are repeats. According to The Futon Critic, two new episodes were scheduled for 6/20 and one for 6/27, but none of them have aired.

Meanwhile, Hollywood Game Night joins the growing trend of introducing contestants only by their first names.

JakeT

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »
Meanwhile, Hollywood Game Night joins the growing trend of introducing contestants only by their first names.

This has frequently been the case for many years now...why does something so inconsequential still matter to anyone, especially since it has been common practice now for nearly two decades?

Jake

RMF

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
This has frequently been the case for many years now...why does something so inconsequential still matter to anyone, especially since it has been common practice now for nearly two decades?

Jake

Particularly given how obnoxious so many of us have found various trends involving the use of contestants that seem to revolve around us learning far too much about them....

JakeT

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »

Jake

Particularly given how obnoxious so many of us have found various trends involving the use of contestants that seem to revolve around us learning far too much about them....

Ain't that the DAMN truth!

JakeT

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 07:06:37 AM »
Apparently, the producers of HGN were certain enough that it was over that they trashed the original set during the hiatus.

What set?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JohnTheGameMan

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
Per the Futon Critic, N.B.C. has tabled new episodes of "The Wall" until either later this year or early next year.  I have a feeling it`s one of two things:
1)  Fox has the game Spin The Wheel", which is produced by Glassman Media which also produces "The Wall".  Game play on "Spin" is basically the same as "Wall" and,yes, some comparisons have been made.
2)  It`s opposite "Holey" on A.B.C. and that show has been doing rather well, but again I think N.B.C. may be afraid of placing new episodes against "Holey".
Then again, I could be wrong.  Perhaps N.B.C. is saving these shows to make better use of the, ratings wise.

Loogaroo

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:30 AM »

Jake

Unless you have returning champions or the contestants are playing for enough money that you'd want to make a note of who played if they do well, there is no compelling reason to know a contestant's full name.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: The Wall and Hollywood Game Night return
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 01:41:35 AM »
I think part of the reason some people are all "WTF?" over it is because the host and celebs have their full names given but the contestants are introduced first-name-only, making the latter really stand out.

I couldn't find it in a search, but I vaguely remember a discussion about The Pyramid where the celebs made an awkward remark while introducing their contestant partners in order to avoid saying their last names.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PPatters

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »
It’s likely to protect the contestants. In today’s social media climate, anyone can go and easily find a contestant online and harass them. Yes, even with just first names, an enterprising person could still maybe find them, but it’d certainly be much harder. I just don’t see any great advantage or need to use last names, so I guess I don’t see the problem with forgoing them.
Patrick

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
I think part of the reason some people are all "WTF?" over it is because the host and celebs have their full names given but the contestants are introduced first-name-only, making the latter really stand out.
I would posit that most people don't even think about it and that there is a non-majority percentage of people here who make a big fuss out of it. There are so many other reasons that game shows are on the long and slow march toward DOND-ification that I don't put much thought into this.

It didn't occur to me but if someone has a fairly unique name and wins a pile o' bucks that it would be easy to look up and harass that person or worse.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 11:19:09 AM »
*cough*Zachoran*cough*cough*

JakeT

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »

But aren't you actually helping make our point about why it shouldn't matter?  The host's full names are familiar to us...the celebs' full names are familiar to us...AND are certainly used to draw viewers to the particular program.  On the other hand, why should anyone care if we know that contestant Mary's last name is Scuttlebuttenhauser?  It doesn't matter! 

This genuinely couldn't be a bigger non-issue and one of those things that tend to make the fanbois seem a tad creepy...

JakeT

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 11:43:56 PM »
I’ve been on a show that introduced me by my first and last name. I’ve been on a show (several shows, actually) that introduced me by my first name only. The difference in the amount of harassment/unsolicited contact between the two experiences is night and day. Please don’t give the audience our last names. It brings nothing extra to the audience except an opportunity to be creepy.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com