Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The dumbest strategies used by contestants  (Read 7150 times)

That Don Guy

Re: The dumbest strategies used by contestants
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
A more recent example, if Million Dollar Mile counts; a contestant completing two obstacles, then going to the "exit obstacle" to win $25,000 or nothing, instead of going to a different third obstacle, which would lock in $50,000 if successful.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 11:07:55 PM »
If the runner is either tapped or has exhausted their head start it isn't that dumb.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »
If the runner is either tapped or has exhausted their head start it isn't that dumb.
Let me clarify the choices:

Finish the exit obstacle before the other person: $25,000

Finish any other obstacle before the other person: $50,000 - you don't have to finish the exit obstacle, or any other obstacle, before the other person in order to get the $50,000; it's the "consolation prize" for getting through three obstacles before the exit.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
As million dollar mile CBS adopted the strategy of going for the exit after two rounds.

Kniwt

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
Wasting your Phone-A-Friend to just call your dad on national TV to say -- oh, wait. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »
Wasting your Phone-A-Friend to just call your dad on national TV to say -- oh, wait. :)
I dunno. He got the question right...I think it’s only a bad strategy had he answered incorrectly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 04:48:15 PM »
I dunno. He got the question right...I think it’s only a bad strategy had he answered incorrectly.
I would argue that--stipulated that he knows the answer because he's been a citizen of Earth--that using that lifeline that was was the best thing he could have done both for himself and for the show as well.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
I thought that was clever and funny myself... why not use a phone a friend to call someone and say "Hey, I'm about to win a million dollars!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »
Although it wouldn't be dumb in all cases, I remember seeing a contestant hit bankrupt on the wheel, and then redeemed their free spin card, just to solve the puzzle, with no money!  Of course, you'd earn the house minimum (which at the time was $200, and is $1,000 now).

I hesitate to call any sort of risk/reward proposition "dumb" just because you or I don't like the relative value of the reward for the risk taken.  I can see the point of spinning again as long as you have a Free Spin, since you're still guaranteed the house minimum in the worst case (as opposed to potentially spinning and getting nothing without one).

Kevin Prather

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
I would argue that--stipulated that he knows the answer because he's been a citizen of Earth--that using that lifeline that was was the best thing he could have done both for himself and for the show as well.

I remember Ed Toutant commenting it was "irresponsible" for him to not use his 50:50, even if he thought he was 100% sure.