Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Cullen estate going up for auction  (Read 2356 times)

Mike Tennant

Bill Cullen estate going up for auction
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
Jack Narz, Jr., posted a link to this on Facebook:

http://abell.com/estate-tv-personality-bill-cullen-week-abell/?fbclid=IwAR12Oe1WXoQem5p_pfEgpIRijoclHctia1jin2D4549RWoRZ-iRnfAxyNPs

The main auction will be on September 27, but other items will be sold in the "early 2019 quarterly fine art auction and upcoming Luxury auction." Right now the website is only highlighting the (very nice) furniture that will be up for auction, but it's likely there will be other items of interest to us. Really, isn't any item connected with Uncle Bill of interest to us?

Chelsea Thrasher

Re: Bill Cullen estate going up for auction
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »
Heck, I'm here for the furniture. Those would very definitely fit the look and feel of my current place super well, it'd be amazing to know the pieces belonged to the Cullens, and if the auction were east coast based I'd probably at least *think* about it depending on expectations for bidding.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:37:20 PM by Chelsea Thrasher »

beatlefreak84

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I think the auction took place in 2018 according to the dates at the top of the page.  That doesn't affect the other part of the "fine art" auction, but I wanted to mention that before anyone dug too much into the weeds.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Mike Tennant

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I think the auction took place in 2018 according to the dates at the top of the page.  That doesn't affect the other part of the "fine art" auction, but I wanted to mention that before anyone dug too much into the weeds.
You're right. How did I miss that? I guess just the fact that Narz fils had posted it as if it were new news made me pass over the mention of the year. But as you said, there's still the rest of the auction, and maybe that's why he wanted people to be aware of it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
You're right. How did I miss that? I guess just the fact that Narz fils had posted it as if it were new news made me pass over the mention of the year. But as you said, there's still the rest of the auction, and maybe that's why he wanted people to be aware of it.

It's very confusing.  Narz DID just post it, and he's the one responsible for the estate.  He's already tried, with varying degrees of success, to sell on Ebay some smaller monogrammed items from Bill's wardrobe.  Still, I don't know what to think about this post.

Also, while it might be exciting for some of us to own something just because it belonged to the Cullens, don't expect a lot of game show memorabilia to show up.  My impression is that Cullen turned over a lot of that to Fred Wostbrock years ago.  Fred was kind enough to share a tiny sliver of that with me and other private collectors over the years, but the bulk of Fred's estate is now in the hands of family members who, to my understanding, don't really know what to do with it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »
My impression is that Cullen turned over a lot of that to Fred Wostbrock years ago.  Fred was kind enough to share a tiny sliver of that with me and other private collectors over the years, but the bulk of Fred's estate is now in the hands of family members who, to my understanding, don't really know what to do with it.

Okay, then our mission seems to be this: get to the Wostbrock family and make it clear to them that Ottinger needs to be the proper game-show executor of the Cullen archives.

Let's start working the phones, people.
czambo@mac.com