Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting eBay find (Joker’s Wild)  (Read 2586 times)

rstrata

Interesting eBay find (Joker’s Wild)
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:49:02 PM »
After some discussion with Evil Travis before pulling the trigger on the sale, I recently picked up the following eBay item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970-39-s-CBS-Game-Show-quot-The-Joker-39-s-Wild-quot-Bonus-Round-Money-Slides-/254138699532

As it turns out, the seller is the daughter of the original producer of The Joker’s Wild, and enclosed a very nice note with the items.   I’m sure the question card and sheet are legitimate items from the show, but I don’t recall ever seeing slides that looked like that.

Evil Travis and I surmised that the slides might have come from the 1971 local KTLA tryout run, before the show moved to the national run on CBS in 1972, but we really have no way to tell.
Anybody else have any ideas?

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Interesting eBay find (Joker’s Wild)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:16 PM »
I don't know, but it was definitely worth the buy at $6.99.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:59:16 PM »
That was essentially my point--for less than $10 if it turns out to be nothing it's a write-off, but if it is something fantastic, isn't it a good thing to dive in.
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
If anything, those slides look more like the money amounts from Bonus Island on Bullseye.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:07:42 AM »
I was coming to post what Bryce said. $100, $150 and $200 were the original dollar amounts in Bullseye's Bonus Island, and the visual style of the slides is exactly that of what we saw on the air there. The "landscape" orientation vs. portrait also supports that. Given this person worked for B&E, it's possible they just got their wires crossed on which show used which item. Either way, it's a very cool buy you just made!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:25:06 AM »
What Jeremy said. I kinda wish I had known about this earlier. Nice pickup!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:36:03 AM »
I was coming to post what Bryce said. $100, $150 and $200 were the original dollar amounts in Bullseye's Bonus Island, and the visual style of the slides is exactly that of what we saw on the air there. The "landscape" orientation vs. portrait also supports that. Given this person worked for B&E, it's possible they just got their wires crossed on which show used which item.

Good observations all around -- this makes a lot of sense.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 02:44:09 AM »
Ooh, those slides could be useful. :)

Looking at the seller's other offerings, two items caught my attention:
* Press photo and release for the debut of NBC's primetime Hollywood Squares (likely after said episode was taped; the X display shows a score of $100 or $150)
* Dick Enberg press photo from Sports Challenge, used on The Joker's Wild (part of the former's logo is visible behind him)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

KrisW73

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »
Very nice find!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:50:19 AM by KrisW73 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »
This is sensational.  I'm not even a fan of Bullseye, but I would have snatched those up if I'd seen them.  Congratulations!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
That was essentially my point--for less than $10 if it turns out to be nothing it's a write-off, but if it is something fantastic, isn't it a good thing to dive in.

Seconded. At that price you totally take the punt, and even as the Bullseye slides (good detective work, troops), that's a great snag!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe