Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catch 21 coming back to GSN...  (Read 9515 times)

weaklink75

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Catch 21 coming back to GSN...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
How many times do they have to relearn the same lesson? The public at large would be forgiven for thinking that GSN's core competency is airing Family Feud starring Steve Harvey for forty hours a week.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
What lesson am I missing? The bulk of the article is behind an ad for me right now, so I may have missed what you're referring to...but I read up to the point about Game Show Network making "double digit growth" with its focus to simple/stripped series. If they're leaning into making 5-a-week shows that are focused on game, I'm ecstatic. Until now, I don't think GSN ever executed this strategy purely, as even the heyday of Whammy, Cram, Russian Roulette, etc. was more on the "dark side" of things in both aesthetic and game mechanics (see: Friend or Foe).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
I'm also getting ad blocked--my inference is that the network is seeing gains by going back to basics. That means that they hadn't been doing that before (such as shunting their original programming to overnights) and that when they have decent original shows that it does work for them. I find little pleasure in an episode of Catch 21, but it's a step ahead of Common Knowledge and fits the mold of what they're about.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »
You just have to look at the page source...
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

pacdude

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:51:49 PM »
For those who can't read the article: https://outline.com/jJvtH8

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
Even for someone who doesn't get GSN right now, I'm all for this.

Catch 21 was a very put together show, TBH, one of their best over the past 10 years. Now some of you can dump on that all you want (as seems to happen with almost any GSN show that didn't start with "The" and end in "Chase"), but WE here in this group are NOT the public at large and we never will be. The public at large by the standards GSN usually has are watching America Says and Common Knowledge. And it's because of those shows doing so well that they're in a rebirth period of "hey, let's do more stuff". And what does that mean? Less Harvey (the only thing they had getting any ratings before this all started)!

It may not be the show most hoped for around here, but hey, baby steps. Root for these shows to succeed whether you're big on them or not, and your chances of seeing bigger things out of GSN can only grow.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

colonial

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »
From the description, "Best Ever Trivia Show" sounds like "Chase" on a budget -- perhaps a livelier take on the BBC's "Eggheads" (which is similar in scope with the "team of trivia experts vs. team of Average Joes" format and is essentially "The Chase" on Valium).

Don't have an issue with "Catch 21" returning. It was harmless daytime fare the first time around and should be the same again.

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
Even for someone who doesn't get GSN right now, I'm all for this.

Catch 21 was a very put together show, TBH, one of their best over the past 10 years. Now some of you can dump on that all you want (as seems to happen with almost any GSN show that didn't start with "The" and end in "Chase")
(citation needed) :P The worst thing I saw about Catch 21 from this forum was that most of the contestants were annoying but attractive. Everything else was take it or leave it.

I like the new model GSN is striving for...air a few low-stakes game shows every day. Reminds me a bit of what USA did in the mid/late-80s. I do think GSN could focus more on polishing the game and less on trying to create shareable zany moments a la Family Feud, but that's Game Shows 2019.

/Need any more pitches, GSN?
//I've got a few lying around
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
Catch 21 was a very put together show, TBH, one of their best over the past 10 years. Now some of you can dump on that all you want (as seems to happen with almost any GSN show that didn't start with "The" and end in "Chase")

Where did this ax to grind come from? I'm all for discussion here, but pitting yourself against this silent-yet-apparently-still-existing group seems odd.

My impression of the board's collective impression of Catch 21 was benign-to-good. If anything, the show didn't/doesn't inspire discussion here for the same reason any long-running show doesn't: it had a happy run and did what it set out to do. As far as our discussion boards have gone, that sort of performance doesn't get heaps of unsolicited praise, nor does it solicit angry mobs.

-Jason
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:25:42 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »
Fair enough from all sides. I don't mean to make it sound how it is, it just always like the dumpers say things first around here. So I never know when good news like this actually feels like good news.

That aside, yeah, maybe you can make a case for the contestants being more high-energy, but it's a lighter game, and these days lighter games are asking for louder energy. I mean, what do you think we're going to see out of Card Sharks and PYL this summer? Those are the highest of high energy. No stumps in the ground there, that's for sure. All in all, though, small price to pay for what again is solid, light-hearted game.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:01 PM »
The fact that someone posts an opinion that doesn't square with yours doesn't make it any more or less valid, nor does it disqualify your participation. Also, I don't think I'm a "dumper," but that I know what I like and don't and I'm not afraid to say as such. I think that puts me a step or two above Statler and Waldorf.
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »
I wonder if they will get Alfonso back to host "Catch 21." He did a good job IMO.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
Alphonso was a little too loud for my taste.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Stackertosh

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Alfonso was loud and annoying on Catch 21.

Its a decent show i am glad its coming back. I hope GSN cuts back on Harvey Family Feud airings.