Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dan Patrick Interview - Hosting Gigs  (Read 1682 times)

tvmitch

Dan Patrick Interview - Hosting Gigs
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »
On the Dan LeBatard "South Beach Sessions" podcast last week, Dan LeBatard had a great interview with Dan Patrick.

In about the last 10 minutes of this episode, Dan Patrick talks some inside baseball (see what I did there) about game shows - specifically, The Price is Right and Millionaire, and how he says he was offered the gigs to host both shows. He talks a bit about Michael Davies too. The whole interview is a great listen if you are interested in ESPN and sports in general, but definitely the last 10 minutes for this group.

What Dan Patrick says in this interview is really interesting but also a bit fantastical. Not saying I distrust him, but would be curious to hear what you all think after you listen.

Not sure how to link to podcasts here, but in my podcast player, it's under "Le Batard & Friends - South Beach Sessions" and the episode title "Ten: Dan Patrick."
You should follow me on Twitter

Jimmy Owen

Re: Dan Patrick Interview - Hosting Gigs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »
I doubt very much he was offered those gigs.  He lacks the warmth needed to be a good mainstream gameshow host
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »
Absolutely disagree. I think he was tested for both - and probably given the struggles both shows have had in coming up with a host, he was  probably offered.

I'm actually surprised Dan passed on Millionaire, since it was taped in Stamford for years, not far from Milford, where he lives and does his radio show.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »
I vaguely remember Dan's name coming up when TPiR searched for Bob's replacement, along with Tom Bergeron, who has a similar demeanor, IMO. That said, I think his energy better fits Millionaire.

/Keep forgetting to listen to his radio show during my morning commute
//One of the best sports talk shows out there
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvmitch

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
Absolutely disagree. I think he was tested for both - and probably given the struggles both shows have had in coming up with a host, he was  probably offered.

I'm actually surprised Dan passed on Millionaire, since it was taped in Stamford for years, not far from Milford, where he lives and does his radio show.
I would agree with you Matt, I think he would have been a compelling host for Millionaire. The way he made it sound in the interview is that he was asked if he wanted the gig instead of Regis for the original nighttime run. Maybe I misunderstood that. I remember hearing some rumors about Regis hosting the daytime show too, but have forgotten the particulars.

I quite enjoy Jeremy Clarkson hosting Millionaire and I think Dan Patrick would have brought that same sort of vibe.

Not sure how he would have done at Price - perhaps that is because I'm seeing the show through Drew Carey's glasses nowadays.
You should follow me on Twitter