Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CMT entering game show arena with "Nashville Squares"  (Read 3601 times)

colonial

CMT entering game show arena with "Nashville Squares"
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:15:43 PM »
The CMT cable channel announced Monday that it is launching "Nashville Squares" ... a country-fried version of HS that's scheduled to air 10 episodes later this year.

https://www.thewrap.com/cmt-nashville-squares-hollywood-squares-hip-hop/

JD

BrandonFG

Re: CMT entering game show arena with "Nashville Squares"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:52:06 PM »
I’ll never complain about more game shows, but I forgot just how much Viacom likes ripping off its own formats to fit whatever network demographic. They did the same with TRL in the early-2000s. I guess it makes sense economically.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stackertosh

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:05:51 PM »
I wish they would just bring back Hollywood squares back instead of making so many versions of the show. I wonder if they are going to use the Hip Hop squares set? and change it to make it look country.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
I wish they would just bring back Hollywood squares back instead of making so many versions of the show. I wonder if they are going to use the Hip Hop squares set? and change it to make it look country.
I imagine they'll build a new set. I don't think the nightclub vibe of the Hip Hop Squares set fits here.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »
I imagine they'll build a new set. I don't think the nightclub vibe of the Hip Hop Squares set fits here.

Stick enough haybales on and around it and it will. :D
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JakeT

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
I’ll never complain about more game shows, but I forgot just how much Viacom likes ripping off its own formats to fit whatever network demographic. They did the same with TRL in the early-2000s. I guess it makes sense economically.

How is it "ripping off"?  Isn't it more like better utilizing what it has?  You can't rip yourself off...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 07:57:00 PM »

How is it "ripping off"?  Isn't it more like better utilizing what it has?  You can't rip yourself off...
Fine. I forgot just how much Viacom likes to use the same template to fit whatever network demographic. Happy?

Mike Tennant

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:15 PM »

Stick enough haybales on and around it and it will. :D
Maybe they could reuse the set from 2014's West Virginia Squares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4MQ1_wAiok

JakeT

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »

Fine. I forgot just how much Viacom likes to use the same template to fit whatever network demographic. Happy?

Well, that is significantly different phrasing...is it time for an episode of "Words Have Meaning"?

JakeT

rebelwrest

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »

Please do not besmirch the good legacy of Peter Marshall by bringing up that turd in the punch bowl.  I should know, I was there and among the nearly 90% of the audience that left the theater between the first and second sessions.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »

Please do not besmirch the good legacy of Peter Marshall by bringing up that turd in the punch bowl.  I should know, I was there and among the nearly 90% of the audience that left the theater between the first and second sessions.
Believe me, I know it was bad from the little bit of it I could stand to watch. I even recall commenting to that effect on this board at the time. I was really only joking that CMT would recycle the set; I doubt that it even still exists, much less that they would want it.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
that turd in the punch bowl.
Appropriate, then, that there's an outhouse in the thumbnail.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

byrd62

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
And let's not forget all those game shows that ran on one of CMT's predecessors, The Nashville Network, between 1983-93...you know, Fandango with Bill Anderson; Top Card with Jim Caldwell, then Dan Miller; and 10 Seconds, also with Mr. Miller.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
There's enough humor in country music (and its performers) that this could be really fun. This seems like a charming idea.
czambo@mac.com

whewfan

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:51 AM »

If I recall, there's another video with better written questions and funny answers. Okay, Peter forgets to ask the contestant to pick a star, but otherwise he's still quite sharp here.