Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants you rooted against?  (Read 6350 times)

whewfan

Re: Contestants you rooted against?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdNSIQrKik

Here's the match with Tammy and Les. This was actually the SEMI-finals, but again, Tammy should've won. Note that Les NEVER said the actual title "Every Breath You Take"... everything BUT that. As I've said, he won the final too. One thing I just noticed, not only is Tommy Oliver and a couple band members trying to "photobomb" Les' bunny hop-like dance, but the credits are also "dancing", so either the show is having fun with Les' over the top reaction, or MAKING fun, you be the judge.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 08:41:00 AM »
Er, no. That’s the “artistry” of whatever individual uploaded the clip to YT, not of SFP.
@lambertman

whewfan

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
Okay, and someone set me straight on Les and a second tournament. I got confused and remembered wrong. He did not compete in another tournament.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 08:43:45 PM »
Arthur Chu on Jeopardy; thank god Ben Ingram would outsmart him in the Tournament of Champions.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
It is interesting (at least to me) to read the box score on that tournament. Arthur's Coryat factor was off-the-charts compared to Ben and Julia, but Arthur (needlessly, in my opinion) lost ten grand on the day one Final Jeopardy and proved that you can't win a tournament on day one of the finals, but you surely can lose it. Julia Collins also lost big but Ben came up with a correct response and more or less salted away the victory at that point.

I usually don't root against contestants unless they're a total caricature or they have a vocal tic that rubs me the wrong way--for the most part they'll be off the screen in an hour or less and I get on with my life.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
I can't come up with any specific examples, although I recall one Wheel Vegas "Best Friends" episode from about 1998, where the two women were pretty obnoxious, screeching "Yeah baby!" every time they solved a puzzle. I secretly hoped they wouldn't make it to the bonus round, but naturally they advanced and won (IIRC) 25K. Cue more "Yeah baby!" screams and me rolling my eyes.

Other than that, I prolly had a few Nelson Muntz "Ha ha!" moments anytime someone on Deal or No Deal said six figures was not a lot of money, and went home with less than $5,000.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »
I didn't care for a contestant on PYL I remember as "Crazy Gene" who after he won at the end looked his opponent in the eye and made a putting the hex kind of gesture at her which I felt was a bit in-your-face.     He was also a contestant on Rafferty Card Sharks too.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 01:16:10 AM »
I didn't care for a contestant on PYL I remember as "Crazy Gene" who after he won at the end looked his opponent in the eye and made a putting the hex kind of gesture at her which I felt was a bit in-your-face.     He was also a contestant on Rafferty Card Sharks too.

I know exactly who you're talking about: I always nicknamed him Screamin Jay Hawkins, because between his screaming in excitement and his hexlike gestures at the audience and fellow contestants, I always thought he was going bust out and sing "I Put a Spell on You".

[]Becauuuuussssseeee.......YOU'RE MINNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!   OHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!![/]

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »

I know exactly who you're talking about: I always nicknamed him Screamin Jay Hawkins, because between his screaming in excitement and his hexlike gestures at the audience and fellow contestants, I always thought he was going bust out and sing "I Put a Spell on You".

[]Becauuuuussssseeee.......YOU'RE MINNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!   OHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!![/]

IIRC, they included him in some of the opening montages for a while as well.