Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer  (Read 5345 times)

snowpeck

Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:02:28 PM »
Alex said in a video he wanted to get ahead of the news before it's blown out of proportion. He says he plans to beat the disease despite low survival odds.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »
So, stage 4 cancer means that the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.  There might be experimental treatments out there, but for most people treatments are about quality and extension of life, rather than curing the disease.

Realistically, this probably means the end of Jeopardy as helmed by Alex Trebek.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

petek66

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:45:56 PM »
Devastating. Lost my mom to this.
One wonders how stage 4 pancreatic
cancer could possibly be blown out of
proportion.

colonial

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:05:28 PM »
Having lost my wife five months ago this Friday from Stage IV breast cancer, this news hits me hard.

As mentioned previously, Stage IV treatment focuses primarily on quality of life … diet, medical treatment, etc. Clinical trials are an option if you can find something and are eligible (and I did seek questions on those before my wife entered hospice).

The Stage IV journey for my family was brief -- only two months -- but family and doctors were always determined to make sure she can live a productive life as long as possible. My daughter is in first grade ... we both hoped she could be there for her high school graduation. But this was also time to settle and come to peace with what you've accomplished -- for my wife and I, this meant looking back at the ups and downs of our relationship, the challenges we faced, the rewards we found, etc. And we also made sure we renewed relations with family and friends that were severed at low points in our lives. By the end, we were all together, sharing stories, watching her favorite TV shows, enjoying a life, etc.

Re: petek66 -- I think it refers to headlines you might see online or on the front page of a supermarket rag. You've seen them ... "(CELEBRITY): 30 DAYS TO LIVE!!"

JD

johnnya2k3

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:46:26 PM »
Alex Trebek has been Jeopardy -- at least, the current incarnation -- from day one, and of course, hosted many other shows besides that for 50 years; but despite the low survival rate (and remember, he had brain surgery last year and he's pushing 80)...yes, as parliboy mentioned, the next episodes he's taping may be his last, and a plan may be in place in case Alex joins Art Fleming up above.

But then again, in the words of Fran Drescher...Cancer Schmancer!

40onTheBlue

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 08:05:38 PM »
What a sad coincidence it is that pancreatic cancer also took Art Fleming from us.
Greetings from Canada.

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
If anybody is gonna fight this it will be Alex...Best Wishes and prayers to The Wizard of Odds.

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »
Alex Trebek has been Jeopardy -- at least, the current incarnation -- from day one, and of course, hosted many other shows besides that for 50 years; but despite the low survival rate (and remember, he had brain surgery last year and he's pushing 80)...yes, as parliboy mentioned, the next episodes he's taping may be his last, and a plan may be in place in case Alex joins Art Fleming up above.

Is it even REMOTELY possible for you not to add to a thread and show off your knowledge, ESPECIALLY this thread?? Sometimes it's best to just read and not contribute if you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. And quoting Fran Drescher? Completely inappropriate.

Sorry guys.........in the effort to try to actually add something of value to this thread........Despite it being stage 4, I'm hoping the best of the best (including experimental ways) of the doctors out there will be able to help him.

trevorroe

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
I'm a long time lurker but never a poster, but wanted to add my thoughts on this news.  Stage IV pancreatic cancer hit my family hard when my father-in-law was diagnosed this past October.  He's 66 years old and immediately started chemo.  Still, the doctor was realistic with us up front--1 year is the average lifespan from diagnosis for someone with Stage IV.  Now, we just try to enjoy all of our time with him and do the things he wants because we don't know how long we'll have with him both in good enough health to do things and before he ultimately passes. 

PC is an aggressive, incurable cancer.  But, miracles do happen and some people live years beyond diagnosis.  I'll add Alex to my prayers. 

chrisholland03

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »

This post was in bad taste, in my opinion.  Whether that was the intent is up to the poster to communicate.

BillCullen1

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 10:51:02 AM »
If anybody is gonna fight this it will be Alex...Best Wishes and prayers to The Wizard of Odds.

Seconded. He's hosted Jeopardy as long as Barker's hosted TPIR, and three times as long as Fleming did. May the force be with Alex.

weaklink75

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
I read on another board that they're done filming for the season on April 6th (the Teachers Tournament tapes the 1st and 2nd), so unless things go very bad very fast, he should hopefully make it to that point. After that, they have some time to see how things go before they have to make some decisions for September and beyond. I would think they will quietly talk to some people- nothing public, so if the worst happens, they'll be ready.

Hoping for the best, but I'm pragmatic about this- I remember the Jack Barry situation when he died between seasons of TJW, and Dan Enright decided to bring Bill Cullen in instead of keeping frequent sub Jim Peck (and IIRC, Jack was going to announce his hosting retirement the first episode of the next season and hand the show over to Jim full-time while he remained as executive producer)

DoItRockapella

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 08:52:25 PM »
(the Teachers Tournament tapes the 1st and 2nd)

For some reason, they are also doing a second Teen Tournament this season, which was taped in December and will be broadcast in June.

https://www.irontontribune.com/2019/02/02/local-student-to-appear-on-teen-jeopardy/

Hoping for the best for Mr. Trebek here. I lost my great-uncle to a similar form of pancreatic cancer a few years ago.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:03:50 PM by DoItRockapella »

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
Alex Trebek thanks everyone who sent well wishes in a very touching video.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cyclone45

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable watching J! given the recent news?