Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Monty Hall biography (Coming soon!)  (Read 3238 times)

Bob Zager

New Monty Hall biography (Coming soon!)
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
Bear Manor Media, which has published Adam Nedeff's bios on Bill Cullen, Allen Ludden, Gene Rayburn and Dennis James; will be releasing a book titled Remembering Monty--tentatively on April 30!

Here's some information from the publisher's website:  http://www.bearmanormedia.com/remembering-monty-monty-hall-softcover-edition-by-ken-rotcop-and-kimberly-kaplan

It will be available in both hardcover and paperback for $29.95 and $19.95, respectively.

Matt Ottinger

Re: New Monty Hall biography (Coming soon!)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »
That's...extremely odd.

Adam Nedeff is working on a Monty Hall biography as well, which will ALSO be published by Bear Manor.  His is technically an "update" of Monty's own 1973 autobiography, but it should be full of Adam's own first-hand research, interviews and "new" anecdotes you won't find anywhere else.

Why did Bear Manor decide to publish two biographies of Monty Hall?  It's anybody's guess.

/See what I did there?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
Why did Bear Manor decide to publish two biographies of Monty Hall?  It's anybody's guess.
Maybe they're also going to offer a goat, and then after you pay for one of the three without knowing which it is, they ask you if you want to trade for one of the others.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
Maybe they're also going to offer a goat, and then after you pay for one of the three without knowing which it is, they ask you if you want to trade for one of the others.

Maybe it was done to beat the clock against another villager who was going to make a video in a split second.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
Or maybe the joke's on us and we missed some news somewhere....??

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:54:11 PM »
I predict someone will buy both books to do a compare-and-contrast.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Otm Shank

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:58:32 PM »
When I wrote a book, I felt I was competing against the publisher's (minimal) publicity efforts. I was told that there were three other books in the genre releasing the same month, and would be promoting all equally rather than giving more resources to the one with the mass appeal. If they are going to say yes to similar books, they have to have some plan to keep them from cannibalizing each other's sales.

Three months later, I tried to contact their lead publicist, and found most of the department was laid off. It happened so quickly they didn't even reach out to all of their authors.

Hopefully Adam has better luck!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »
Or maybe the joke's on us and we missed some news somewhere....??
No, no, my book, the updated and revised version of Emcee Monty Hall is still on the way.

BearManor received the proposal for Remembering Monty first. Ben, the head of the company, received my proposal and half-apologized, even though he hadn't really done anything wrong; the other book got to him first. Because my other books have sold rather well (and thank you all for that), he was willing to publish mine too, as long as I understood that there were two Monty books coming out now.

You might think I'd take this as a cue to seek another publisher, but it became quickly apparent that wouldn't happen--at least one couldn't wrap their heads around the idea that I was adding stuff to the original book. "Why wouldn't they just buy a copy of the 1973 release on Ebay?" (Because I'm adding more stuff to it, dammit!!!)

Ben and I talked it over, and Ben seemed very confident in saying that both books could exist in the same universe, so I trust his judgment, and you folks get two books about Monty Hall out of the situation.

trainman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 01:53:51 AM »
Ben and I talked it over, and Ben seemed very confident in saying that both books could exist in the same universe...

Well, just watch out after you finish your book -- if mirrors are suddenly disappearing, and if all fruit looks rotten, then you'll know Ben was wrong.
trainman is a man of trains

BillCullen1

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
I've enjoyed all of Adam's books and I look forward to reading about Monty, since I never got his book from way back when.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
In Ken Rotcop’s book I read that Monty was offered a daytime talk show by CBS but the catch was he had to leave Let’s Make a Deal so he turned it down.  Also, he wrote about a prime time special that Monty was not too happy with that Monty had no creative control over.  I hope Adam touches on that some in his book.

calliaume

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 08:07:34 PM »
Ken Rotcop's book is a grand total of 148 pages, for $29.95.  I'll wait for Adam's book.