Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Returning  (Read 28112 times)

tyshaun1

Re: Card Sharks Returning
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »
The first taping took about 2 and 1/2 hours. It's being taped at one of the newer studios at CBS Television City Studios. So far everything I've read and heard is mostly positive.

It took that long for 1 30-minute episode? And FTFY.

Tyshaun

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
Not to mention working as a budget-saver.
Because God forbid that a game show should have budgetary constraints.

If I wasn't already I am on record saying that they could play the end game for $128,000 and it wouldn't lose anything--it would be well in line with Match Game and Pyramid, though I don't know what Press Your Luck is doing. I think it is stupefying to have a game show where someone could win $640,000 one episode and $4,000 the next. (Before I hear thirty people say "But Millionaire!" their initial prize kitty was funded by the phone game. The initial run of Card Sharks had very constrictive rules in the Money Cards because they had no idea how the game would play out. If the show finishes their run of engagement and they can make pushes a no change proposition in 2020 that's fine.

I am not totally sold on two rows of ten cards because I think it will be unwieldy and Scott St. John's vision of what game shows should be doesn't really jive with mine, but I'm not out and out dismissive of CS anymore.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
The first taping took about 2 and 1/2 hours.
It took that long for 1 30-minute episode?

Hour-long episode.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chargeradiocom

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
For the most part, this sounds like they’ve stayed pretty true to the classic format. The 5 question/10 card format seems odd, but I assume that’s to take care of the straddling issue. And I wish they’d kept the push rule, but I get the whole budget constraint thing, plus it’s not like this is an entirely new change. So I have no real complaints at this stage.

A few questions for anyone who’s in the know...

— Is this still 2 out of 3 games? I’d assume so, as the Q&A discussion seemingly would have to be awfully stretched out for it to be a single game. But I wasn’t entirely clear on that from the Buzzerblog article.

— If it is 2 of 3, is the third game shortened as in the classic versions? Or is it still 5 questions/10 cards?

— What were the questions like, content-wise? Fairly close to the original (albeit with 21st century sensibilities)? Or did they go full-on Harvey Feud?

— I know it’s airing for an hour, but is it essentially 2 back-to-back episodes that could be stripped later, as most of the other ABC revivals have been? Or did they stretch out one entire match (+Money Cards) to an hour?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:03:16 PM by chargeradiocom »

BrandonFG

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2019, 08:04:53 PM »
— I know it’s airing for an hour, but is it essentially 2 back-to-back episodes that could be stripped later, as most of the other ABC revivals have been? Or did they stretch out one entire match (+Money Cards) to an hour?
The former. Two episodes with two contestants each.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »
— Is this still 2 out of 3 games? I’d assume so, as the Q&A discussion seemingly would have to be awfully stretched out for it to be a single game. But I wasn’t entirely clear on that from the Buzzerblog article.

No, it's 1 out of 1 game. Yes, the Q&A discussion is stretched out. (So is the Money Cards discussion.)

— What were the questions like, content-wise? Fairly close to the original (albeit with 21st century sensibilities)? Or did they go full-on Harvey Feud?

Fairly close to the original, with both "survey" and "educated guess" questions.
trainman is a man of trains

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2019, 10:03:11 PM »
No, it's 1 out of 1 game. Yes, the Q&A discussion is stretched out. (So is the Money Cards discussion.)
But at least it's a five-question game. My concern about chrome over content is not allayed, but it does sound like they're going to have the equivalent of a two-of-three match in one longer game, and I suppose that's OK. The fact that there is dialog during the Money Cards doesn't hit my happy place--that's supposed to be a quickfire round where there isn't lots of rumination or much in the way of comment unless something out of the ordinary happens. But then I have a >> button on my Tivo.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:22 PM »
The fact that there is dialog during the Money Cards doesn't hit my happy place.
I think Card Sharks is one of those games where the end game is a bigger draw than the front, so giving it more time makes sense (also it's 2019--everything is drawn out and dramatic). I just wonder if the sacrifices made to give it extra time don't reduce front game to "who gets sudden death right so they can pass."
This signature is currently under construction.

alfonzos

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2019, 01:37:10 AM »
I have just come from a taping and, rest assured, this is an excellent production. You have to modify your Endless Games home game to play this version but it can be done.

There was one glitch during the first of the two episodes I saw. Even though this situation will probably be edited out, the spoiler is for people who want to surprised by the rule changes. The players cut their respective decks on camera at the beginning of the game to see who gains control of the first question. Both players cut to their nines creating a tie. No one told the host that the contestants were supposed to set those cards aside and cut again so they stopped tape. When taping resumed the contestants cut again but one of them cut to the blank card used to keep them from seeing the bottom of their decks.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Stackertosh

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »
How was the hosting?

chargeradiocom

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:19 PM »
Thanks BrandonFG, trainman, and alphonzos for the info.

But at least it's a five-question game. My concern about chrome over content is not allayed, but it does sound like they're going to have the equivalent of a two-of-three match in one longer game, and I suppose that's OK. The fact that there is dialog during the Money Cards doesn't hit my happy place--that's supposed to be a quickfire round where there isn't lots of rumination or much in the way of comment unless something out of the ordinary happens. But then I have a >> button on my Tivo.

I just wonder if the sacrifices made to give it extra time don't reduce front game to "who gets sudden death right so they can pass."

I agree with both of these statements almost entirely. With the information we have, it sounds like the Money Cards may have been injected with a Deal or No Deal virus, so to speak, where we’ll be getting long, drawn out talk-throughs and overdramatized reveals. As TLEberle said, the MC should be more rapid fire, IMHO.

That said, the response from the online game show community folks who have seen a taping has been largely positive. So I’m keeping an open mind.

alfonzos

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
The game could end after one question or could go as long as five questions. Each episode will take longer than an half-hour to tape and be edited down to twenty two minutes in post production.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

JMFabiano

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
The game could end after one question or could go as long as five questions. Each episode will take longer than an half-hour to tape and be edited down to twenty two minutes in post production.

Yeah, what if you get someone incredibly lucky who does run all ten in one shot?  Doubt it'll happen, but yeah.

Some more nitpicky questions: anyone got word about the card art?  1978-1989 style cards (as seen on GS Marathon as well, more or less) or something new? 

So we're getting a remix or soundalike of the classic theme.  Soundalike NBC sound effects too, or some borrowed off of PIR like ABC's Match Game (and of course MG7x) which would make it like Eubanks'? 

/Doubt they share the losing horns as liberally as they did in the 70s and 80s though. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2019, 04:34:07 PM »
Yeah, what if you get someone incredibly lucky who does run all ten in one shot?  Doubt it'll happen, but yeah.
Musical guest.

Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
Musical guest.

Didn't Jeopardy do that once during a Seniors Tournament match that ran short?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983