Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Returning  (Read 28316 times)

geno57

From ABC Media Relations, dated today
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »
April 8, 2019

ABC STACKS THE DECK WITH JOEL MCHALE AS HOST OF
‘CARD SHARKS,’ PREMIERING THIS SUMMER ON ABC

ABC Entertainment and Fremantle announced today that actor and comedian Joel McHale is set to host “Card Sharks,” the suspenseful game where a fortune can be won on the turn of a single playing card! The show is slated to air this summer on The ABC Television Network.

“I’m very excited to be hosting ‘Card Sharks,’” said Joel McHale. “Game winners can win tens of thousands of dollars and in an updated twist – losers will be fed to a pen of adult Tiger Sharks.”

The road to glory and riches begins with two players facing off in a head-to-head elimination race where the winning player claims a $10,000 cash prize and a chance to turn that amount into a life-changing payday. The anticipation builds as the winning contestant risks their prize on predicting seven final cards. The player leaves the game with whatever amount of money they have in their bank after their prediction, and results are revealed on the flip of their seventh and final card.

Joel McHale was most recently seen in “The Happy Time Murders,” as well as Netflix’s “A Futile and Stupid Gesture,” opposite Will Forte. McHale also recently hosted “The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale” on Netflix, a half-hour topical series that took a sharp, absurdist look at pop culture and news from across the globe. In 2015, McHale wrapped the 12th and final season of E! Network’s “The Soup,” in which he satirized pop culture and current events. He is best known for his starring role on the hit comedy series “Community.” Other starring feature roles include the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced, supernatural thriller “Deliver Us from Evil”; the Warner Bros’ romantic comedy “Blended,” alongside Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore; Seth MacFarlane’s comedy smash “Ted”; Steven Soderbergh’s “The Informant”; as well as “What’s Your Number?,” starring Chris Evans and Anna Faris. In 2014, McHale hosted the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington D.C. He also hosted “The 2015 ESPYS” on ABC. In the fall of 2016, McHale released his first book through Putnam Penguin, “Thanks for the Money: How to Use My Life Story to Become the Best Joel McHale You Can Be,” which is part memoir, part self-help guide. McHale is repped by UTA and Ziffren Brittenham LLP.

“Card Sharks” is produced by Fremantle. Scott St. John is showrunner and executive producer, and Jack Martin and Jennifer Mullin are also executive producers.

colonial

calliaume

Re: Card Sharks Returning
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »
He may not be bad at this (or he may treat this as a paycheck and nothing more - his quote in the Deadline story isn't encouraging).

Interesting that his 2017-2018 one-season sitcom on CBS, The Great Indoors, isn't mentioned in the press release.

Matt Ottinger

Re: From ABC Media Relations, dated today
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »
The road to glory and riches begins with two players facing off in a head-to-head elimination race where the winning player claims a $10,000 cash prize and a chance to turn that amount into a life-changing payday. The anticipation builds as the winning contestant risks their prize on predicting seven final cards. The player leaves the game with whatever amount of money they have in their bank after their prediction, and results are revealed on the flip of their seventh and final card.

Somewhat awkwardly worded, but this does seem to be the traditional Money Cards format we know and love.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Sodboy13

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
Assuming they take your $10K from the front game and split it between the two bottom rows, that's a potential top prize of $720,000.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 02:27:16 PM »
They could get away with the payout matrix from Gameshow Marathon, but I suppose the new run of Deal or No Deal proves that there are indeed people who will risk $85,000 lower than a Jack.
Travis L. Eberle

pacdude

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »
It seems like the Money Cards are restructured that you don't bet per-card, but rather make a big bet on a run of 7 cards?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 04:19:24 PM »
It seems like the Money Cards are restructured that you don't bet per-card, but rather make a big bet on a run of 7 cards?

I imagine that's one interpretation of what I originally said was a badly worded description.  Still, I think logic and recent history would suggest that Fremantle has learned to stick with what worked originally.  We'll know soon enough, but there's nothing in this description that leads me to believe they're going to radically change the bonus round.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
I was at a taping of The $100,000 Pyramid last Friday. Joel McHale was one of the celeb guests and Michael Strahan did introduce him as "host of the new Card Sharks." Now we wait and see who they get to host Press Your Luck.

JakeT

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2019, 08:45:09 PM »

Interesting that his 2017-2018 one-season sitcom on CBS, The Great Indoors, isn't mentioned in the press release.

I think that's called "damage control"...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »
He may not be bad at this (or he may treat this as a paycheck and nothing more - his quote in the Deadline story isn't encouraging).
That same quote was used in the ABC press release. When I wrote press releases during my brief marketing stint, we had to come up with a quote, then attach the relevant name. I'm guessing the firm representing ABC (if not ABC's PR folks) did the same here.

/The "I'm/We're very excited to blah blah blah" was a common quote starter
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:00:22 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »
Yes, I should have considered that.  (Although it did sound like something McHale would say.)

Back in 1992, the advertising agency I worked for was charged with doing some of the writing for its primary client, trading card company SkyBox - including the "Magic [Johnson]'s All-Rookie Team," which meant two of us had to write card backs as if Magic had said them.  I drew Shaquille O'Neal, and my copy read "The Shaq is going to terrorize the NBA.  Maybe not this season, maybe not next, but he will do it."  (I wish in retrospect I hadn't used the word "terrorize," but it was 1992.)  It didn't occur to me until after I saw the card in print that "What if he's a bust?  That's going to make Magic look stupid."  Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
Assuming they take your $10K from the front game and split it between the two bottom rows, that's a potential top prize of $720,000.

If they give you $7,500 on the first row and $2,500 on the second row, the top prize is $1 million on the nose.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »
Tickets are now available on OCA.

If you're in the LA area, it'll be at TVC all next weekend.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 11:01:58 PM »
I like what they did with the logo.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!