Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Returning  (Read 28111 times)

JakeT

Re: Card Sharks Returning
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
Bullard's formatting wasn't that bad, and would work here, except use regular survey questions and give both players an individual rows of cards.

In other words, throw out the entire Bullard format, right?

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Bullard's formatting wasn't that bad, and would work here, except use regular survey questions and give both players an individual rows of cards.

In other words, throw out the entire Bullard format, right?
Ummm...no. The structure I described later in that post would be one thing I'd keep, in order to maintain a self-contained show. Everything else would be like the original versions (surveys over "Chip Clips", individual rows).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 12:57:04 AM »
Just my own--as stupid dumb as the format was generally I get annoyed when contestants are brought on to play one segment then if they lose they're done. (moreso on CS because that's all about luck anyway).

If it were for GSN, I would love for the show to allow games to breathe and edit to finish up cleanly on Friday. If each episode has be self-contained, throw all questions over to a group of ten people, and talk to some of them after the question and edit as appropriate. I think that letting players play as many games as possible in an episode and whichever contestant wins more goes to the Money Cards is preferable to escalating values.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
Thinking about this and Brandon bringing up the idea of using the 2001 playoff-style format to keep the show self-contained, I'm wondering if this is a viable option to fit in 42 minutes of network airtime:

2 semifinal matches, each best-of-3, classic CS format.
Each semifinal winner plays the Money Cards, with base values of $500 and $1,000.
The two semi winners face off in a one-game final. Maybe you make it a 7-card board for each player to emphasize that this is the bigger game, and to lower the odds that someone runs the board off the first question, just for the sake of timing the show
Champion goes back to the Money Cards, now with base values of $1,000 and $2,000.

I doubt TPTB would go for this, because there's always going to be some time variances when you're playing best-of-3, and all of the reboots seem dedicated to getting their blocked timed out as consistently as possible. Just look at the lengths Match Game goes to to ensure two rounds, four questions, every single week. ABC also seems to prefer each hour show to be two self-contained half-hours, and my idea violates that. But Good Card Sharks was always a straddling show, and I don't know how you get around that without bending the structure of the game to the point of breaking it, or by padding the hell out of it, Bruce Forsyth-style.

"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

chrisholland03

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 07:02:07 PM »
With recent history as precident, I would wager the end result will look and feel familiar to what we know and love.

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
Thinking about this and Brandon bringing up the idea of using the 2001 playoff-style format to keep the show self-contained, I'm wondering if this is a viable option to fit in 42 minutes of network airtime:

2 semifinal matches, each best-of-3, classic CS format.
Each semifinal winner plays the Money Cards, with base values of $500 and $1,000.
The two semi winners face off in a one-game final. Maybe you make it a 7-card board for each player to emphasize that this is the bigger game, and to lower the odds that someone runs the board off the first question, just for the sake of timing the show
Champion goes back to the Money Cards, now with base values of $1,000 and $2,000.

I doubt TPTB would go for this, because there's always going to be some time variances when you're playing best-of-3, and all of the reboots seem dedicated to getting their blocked timed out as consistently as possible. Just look at the lengths Match Game goes to to ensure two rounds, four questions, every single week. ABC also seems to prefer each hour show to be two self-contained half-hours, and my idea violates that. But Good Card Sharks was always a straddling show, and I don't know how you get around that without bending the structure of the game to the point of breaking it, or by padding the hell out of it, Bruce Forsyth-style.

You could always do what the nighttime Marshall Squares did.  As you recall,  they threw out the daytime best 2 out of 3 rule and just kept playing games until the buzzer sounded.  You could do the same thing with CS, except when time runs out for regular game play, the next questions becomes sudden death.  Determine the winner of that game, who won more games, and if the match is still tied, do a quick 3 card sudden death to break the tie. Then winner goes onto the Money Cards.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »
See reply #18.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »
ABC also seems to prefer each hour show to be two self-contained half-hours, and my idea violates that.

Match Game PM, $100,000 Pyramid and the Feud always ended on the half-hour, though, so there wasn't reason to change. ABC's TTTT and Gong Show aren't two distinct half-hours. It'd make sense for Card Sharks to run the whole hour so odds are better that short and long games and matches balance out.

I'd play single games with a longer board. It'd make it harder to run the board (as noted above), eliminate rubber games of matches, and you'd get to the Money Cards more often. They could play a set number of games, then the top two money winners play a final game for the chance at Big Money Cards.

Neumms

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »
Questions for the group:

Would you--or will they--have single players or couples a la Brucie?

Do you work the car game in somewhere, presumably with a more impressive model than an 80s Renault? (I didn't like it tacked on to Money Cards, but maybe there's a place for it.)

And who hosts? Craigy Ferg may be available.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »
For the most part, ABC's games have stayed faithful to the original (or more familiar, in the case of Match Game). I see no reason why they would deviate from single players here.

Do you work the car game in somewhere, presumably with a more impressive model than an 80s Renault? (I didn't like it tacked on to Money Cards, but maybe there's a place for it.)
I probably wouldn't. It felt out of place in Eubanks's version, although the second format fit better than Pick 1-7.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Otm Shank

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »
I'd play single games with a longer board. It'd make it harder to run the board (as noted above), eliminate rubber games of matches, and you'd get to the Money Cards more often. They could play a set number of games, then the top two money winners play a final game for the chance at Big Money Cards.
How about a set number of questions, say 8, and you can clear the board as many times as you can. Probably should be a provision to eliminate freezes after the ~5th question to avoid the prevent defense strategy, or permit the opponent an opportunity after those late freezes. It's a half-cooked idea, because then you'd have to consider that 52 cards would not always be enough. There would also need to be a tiebreaker provision, but maybe it is only 1 or 2 short questions on a 3-card board.

TimK2003

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 10:59:42 PM »
For the most part, ABC's games have stayed faithful to the original (or more familiar, in the case of Match Game). I see no reason why they would deviate from single players here.

I probably wouldn't. It felt out of place in Eubanks's version, although the second format fit better than Pick 1-7.

Outside of the TPiR Primetime Specials, what was the last primetime network game show to give away a car???   Exactly!  Ergo, I don't think there will be any car game to worry about.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »
Greed.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 02:06:06 AM »
Outside of the TPiR Primetime Specials, what was the last primetime network game show to give away a car???   Exactly!  Ergo, I don't think there will be any car game to worry about.
Off the top of my head, Billy Bush’s LMAD...more than 15 years ago. :P

tvwxman

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 06:00:32 AM »
National Bingo Night
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"