Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cullen TPIR on Buzzr?  (Read 35443 times)

Eric Paddon

Re: Cullen TPIR on Buzzr?
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2019, 12:13:57 AM »
Thank you for proving my point regarding the hypocrisy of those who think being boorish and crude is a virtue and then out of the other side of their mouths love to proclaim how "progressive and enlightened" they are.     And I made a distinction between the s-word and sexual innuendo which has also become overly commonplace in our language and no one thinks *that* should be restrained somehow.

And as for what constitutes a "hateful slur", increasingly that's becoming more and more what professional whiners want it to be and they usually end up being the same people who are perfectly okay with hateful slurs (like the c-word for women) being uttered against someone because of who they voted for or who they work for in the political arena.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:16:17 AM by Eric Paddon »

TonicBH

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2019, 01:08:27 AM »
And as for what constitutes a "hateful slur", increasingly that's becoming more and more what professional whiners want it to be and they usually end up being the same people who are perfectly okay with hateful slurs (like the c-word for women) being uttered against someone because of who they voted for or who they work for in the political arena.

It's difficult to take your argument seriously when you dismiss the people concerned about people using certain slurs as "whiners."

Look, I understand: Sometimes things go too far. Some of these might be misconstrued thanks to companies with good PR departments and news sites looking for the next shocking thing. But you shouldn't dismiss "you shouldn't use words like midget" because you think it's whining.

It just comes off as someone being angry they can't use certain words or jokes in public anymore. Often times they lack empathy for those people, finding enjoyment in punching down. We don't need that in 2019.

As for the original argument: It's Buzzr, they have final say on what can and can't air. And if they feel a brand of car using a word we consider a slur nowadays is questionable, they have the right to censor it. It's their channel, they can do whatever they feel is best.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:42 AM »
JakeT, I think you're being a bit overzealous. I get where you're coming from, but your replies come across as "You're only disagreeing with me because you like hurtful language!" I can't speak for anyone else here, but I personally hate hurtful language.

Yes, hearing Don Pardo say that M-word or Brett Somers writing "F**" as her answer or any number of other things being done so casually is cringeworthy since there was a lot more insensitivity back then towards certain groups of people (those of Japanese, Chinese, and African descent having gotten a particularly raw deal; eesh), and Buzzr's well within its rights to censor such things for over-the-air broadcast, but being exposed to that stuff through other avenues doesn't mean I'm going to copy it for one simple reason - because I know better.

I love watching old TV shows, movies, and cartoons, some of which had cringeworthy stereotypes and/or slurs, but supporting the ability to watch such things without their being hacked up (again, I support Buzzr not wanting that crap to air on TV) doesn't mean I support racism or using slurs - it means I support the ideas of 1) preservation and 2) using such incidents as good examples of how monumentally stupid we humans used to be.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2019, 11:08:25 AM »
punching down.

Not cool, man. Not. Cool.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PPatters

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
Unfortunately, I think this has devolved a bit. Ultimately, I know many Little People. (I'm not just saying that. I'm not one of those people who is pretending to know people in a group that doesn't. Through my husband's work, we work a lot with Little People.) They prefer the term Little People, so while it may seem offensive to some who do not identify as Little People, it is the opposite for those who do. (The literally call their national organization Little People of America.) Additionally, they loathe and detest the "m-word." They see it as dehumanizing and have had it thrown at them to make them feel as less-than. If you watch any shows that focus on LPs (e.g., Little People Big World, Little Women, etc...), you'll see that as a common theme. If we can do anything to avoid that word being heard, I don't see it as a problem and I think it's a great thing that Buzzr is doing.
Patrick

Eric Paddon

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
It's difficult to take your argument seriously when you dismiss the people concerned about people using certain slurs as "whiners."

Because that has been *my* experience.   I have seen people assaulted, slurred and mocked for their religious and political beliefs by inevitably the *same* people who keep pushing for these retroactive shaming lessons that so often are devoid of context (and I'm not talking about the worst examples like n and f-words)    When it gets to the point where the mobs have gotten Kate Smith's recording of "God Bless America" banned at sporting events because of a couple objectionable by modern-standard songs she recorded in the 1930s that is why I am automatically going to be rolling my eyes at the latest binge of PC rewriting.   Frankly when it comes to cheap shots in old Match Game answers, perhaps we should note the bad taste attacks on Nixon family members that Patti Deutsch self-indulgently engaged in multiple times (attacking Nixon was fine; his family should have been off-limits, and there's also the fact that no contestant ever in a million years would have given an answer like that, so that only further underscored how uncalled for it was).

Is the last poster in favor of the permanent censoring of the Tony Randall "Odd Couple" scene?

This is not about using words like that in our everyday language.    I *don't* use that word in my everyday language.    What I'm not in favor of is suppressing the historical record and I'm also not in favor of hearing puffed-chest declarations of how much more "enlightened" we are today when there are a lot of other examples conveniently overlooked in today's society that would tell us that just isn't so. 

SuperMatch93

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »
Have the episodes been relatively sequential at this point? I know there are some gaps in the G-T archive when it comes to the nighttime show, but what's the longest we've gone at this point without a missing episode?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Bryce L.

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2019, 01:29:49 PM »
Have the episodes been relatively sequential at this point?
Seems we've kinda-sorta skipped around:

10/6: 9/16/1959, 9/30/1959 and 10/7/1959
10/13: 12/2/1959, 8/5/1959 and 8/12/1959
10/20: 1/13/1960, 1/27/1960 and 4/13/1960
10/27: 4/27/1960, 6/1/1960 and 6/15/1960
scheduled for 11/3: 6/29/1960, 8/31/1960 and 9/28/1960

snowpeck

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
Have the episodes been relatively sequential at this point?
Seems we've kinda-sorta skipped around:

10/6: 9/16/1959, 9/30/1959 and 10/7/1959
10/13: 12/2/1959, 8/5/1959 and 8/12/1959
10/20: 1/13/1960, 1/27/1960 and 4/13/1960
10/27: 4/27/1960, 6/1/1960 and 6/15/1960

They're mostly going in chronological order. Those August 1959 shows aired out of sequence presumably because they didn't want to start their run of Cullen TPIR with two shows guest hosted by Merv Griffin.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
6/29/1960 is a GREAT episode, too. Set your DVRs.

That Don Guy

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:03 PM »

I guess the "fur ban" doesn't apply to the Cullen episodes. And another showcase winner where they leave out the winner's name in the announcement, but when Bill congratulates them, their last name slips through.

BUZZR - where you can't say "midget," but showing fur coats is not a problem.

Allstar87

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »

If showing fur coats was a problem, we would be skipping a LOT of Split Second episodes!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 09:11:28 PM by Allstar87 »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »

I guess the "fur ban" doesn't apply to the Cullen episodes. And another showcase winner where they leave out the winner's name in the announcement, but when Bill congratulates them, their last name slips through.

Barker's "no fur coats allowed" stipulation never applied to GSN's rebroadcasts of Bill's TPiR either.
Bob Barker's personal offense to showing animal fur prizes and a word highly offensive to those with dwarfism have nothing to do with one another. Seriously people, unless you yourself have dwarfism, quit the whining about Buzzr being conscious enough to silence the word so as to not offend that population. Ok thanks, bye.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »

The midgets can complain in English. The fox sees the fox fur and just says "Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!" and nobody knows what to do with it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2019, 10:33:32 PM »
I'm dying here. Give the man his prize.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation