Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cullen TPIR on Buzzr?  (Read 35442 times)

Scrabbleship

Re: Cullen TPIR on Buzzr?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
I don't know if that is still the case with the rights. Simply presented as a data point for the discussion. Regardless, this March 8 showing may be a one-time negotiation.

Given the International Women's Day angle and Arlene Francis subbing, I'm starting to wonder if a lot of these episodes airing beforehand fit that theme. I guess we'll see when the full schedule comes out.

/ I'm getting that at least one of those MG's has Betty or Brett hosting a question and that two of those TTTT episodes are when Kitty and Peggy each hosted half a show because they knew a subject.

Relevant: fun 1997 thread from a.t.g-s with the first dark period schedule. Dating/Newlywed Game 4x a day! Pass The Buck! Ruckus! Comments posted from a WebTV email address!

Somehow, parsing links from the Google carcass that once was DejaNews just doesn't work here. The address is below, if that doesn't work just copy and paste.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.tv.game-shows/t1G22s2n6Mc/jO48M_eeHl0J

Reading through that only makes me not miss 1997 by any means.

/ That lineup, save TPiR and Feud, would make a great Sony-owned reaction to Buzzr.
// Yes, Ruckus included.

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
I don't know if that is still the case with the rights. Simply presented as a data point for the discussion. Regardless, this March 8 showing may be a one-time negotiation.

Given the International Women's Day angle and Arlene Francis subbing, I'm starting to wonder if a lot of these episodes airing beforehand fit that theme. I guess we'll see when the full schedule comes out.

/ I'm getting that at least one of those MG's has Betty or Brett hosting a question and that two of those TTTT episodes are when Kitty and Peggy each hosted half a show because they knew a subject.

Since it's been confirmed by Buzzr that most of the episodes that day are related to Int'l Women's Day,  I will play a hunch and say one (Dawson) episode will likely be the episode where Richard was a bit laryngitical and had producer Cathy Hughart host about half the show.  IIRC, she did a decent job as she did some of the runthroughs before taping.  I wouldn't be surprised if a few Celebrity Feuds from the Dawson and Combs years show up with the Men v. Women teams playing.

Betty White.hosted a week of Password in the 70's, (however those eps are, sadly, long gone) did she host any of the other incarnations for a day or week?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 10:18:21 PM »
Shows are released.

The 9AM TTTT and 9:30 WML are continuations of their current run (IOW, nothing new). 

The 10AM and 10:30 BL's are the 12/27-28/84 eps with Lucy, Isabel Sanford, Robert Morse and Richard Simmons.  The other two BL's (1PM and 1:30) are Lucy and Charles Nelson Reilly (9/10 and 9/13/84).

The 11AM MGPM is actually a rerun from two nights earlier.  The 11:30 MG is labeled as from 1980, but the guide says ep 352 (which actually was the second show of the 1981-82 season).

The 12N TTTT is from the current run but had been skipped (ep 1572--second show of the 1973-74 season).  The 12:30 WML was taped in 1970 (ep 733).

The P+ eps are all from the week with Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, Joanna Gleason and McLean Stevenson (in character and as themselves)--week of 3/10-14/80.  The Thursday and Friday eps are airing first, the Monday and Tuesday eps later.

The SP eps are from 11/10-11/88 (Lucy, Carol Channing, Betty White and Dick Martin).

The 4PM TTTT is a 1980 ep (number 19).  The 4:30 WML is from 1970-71 (ep 922).

The FF eps are all from 1994 (half hour versions--104 is first, then 96, 97 and 98).

As confirmed earlier, the TPIR is from 1961 with Arlene subbing for Uncle Bill.  IGAS is from 1960.  WML from 1953 (Eleanor Roosevelt).

And that should do it.

In unrelated news to this, CC continues to at least the week before Xmas 1987 (151 on 3/15, OAD supposedly 12/18/87).  TATTLETALES goes back in time from 252 to 202 on 3/12.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:46:55 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Sodboy13

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
Perhaps Buzzr was tipping its hand a little on this lineup of shows with its tweet from a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/BUZZRtv/status/1098643717076979717?s=19
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

aaron sica

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
Relevant: fun 1997 thread from a.t.g-s with the first dark period schedule. Dating/Newlywed Game 4x a day! Pass The Buck! Ruckus! Comments posted from a WebTV email address!

Hey, that was me that posted that! :) I incorrectly stated that the new schedule would begin on Monday the 13th - proved to be wrong, as at the stroke of midnight, when October 10 turned into 11, most of the G-T shows hibernated for a long winter's nap.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 09:27:25 AM »
So it's not Cullen TPIR after all.;
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 07:19:10 PM »
The FF eps are all from 1994 (half hour versions--104 is first, then 96, 97 and 98).

Anybody have any idea what could be special about these episodes? Judging by the high episode numbers and the fact that they're 30 minutes, I'd guess that they're from Ray Combs' last season and not the season with Dawson's return.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chrisholland03

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
My first guess was the divorced couples week, but in digging, that was 1993 and not 1994.  I'm still going to put my chip behind a special week of some sort based upon the frequency those occurred by 1994, and the fact that the other episodes in the marathon fit a theme.

SRIV94

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
My first guess was the divorced couples week, but in digging, that was 1993 and not 1994.  I'm still going to put my chip behind a special week of some sort based upon the frequency those occurred by 1994, and the fact that the other episodes in the marathon fit a theme.

I would think it's either "TPIR vs Y&R" or "American Gladiators Battle of the Sexes".  Maybe 3 of one and 1 of the other.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
I don't remember the contestants, but there was a Battle of the Sexes week, although I don't remember it being American Gladiators. I know it aired in October or November 1994 in my market (single run).

Bold and the Beautiful also had a team.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »
Anybody have any idea what could be special about these episodes?
There’s a week(?) of the second half of Dawson comeback Feud where Carol Burnett faces Betty White. Given the highlighting of another pioneering comedienne like Lucille Ball, that stands out to me as a contender.

SRIV94

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 11:32:28 PM »
Evidently the 1980 ep is the one with Rosa Parks as a central character (saw a promo video on Twitter earlier this evening).
Doug

SRIV94

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »
I don't remember the contestants, but there was a Battle of the Sexes week, although I don't remember it being American Gladiators. I know it aired in October or November 1994 in my market (single run).

Bold and the Beautiful also had a team.

The "Gladiators" week was in Combs' last season.
Doug

chargeradiocom

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
Random, but do the "rules" surrounding Barker's version not airing in reruns apply to Drew's? It's been 12 years, so I'm a little surprised BUZZR hasn't aired episodes from say, 2007-10?
Just my take... I have to think that whatever the real reason is that Barker’s version doesn’t air in reruns applies to Drew’s as well. Otherwise, I agree that we’d likely have seen some of it by now.

I don’t think models or furs are the real issue. As you alluded to, neither of those should affect Drew’s run. Heck, Bob’s run still had 6 or so more years after the last of the models with whom he felt he had a beef were gone. (And does Bob really have any legal authority to block those episodes in the first place?) As far as the furs, I could see all parties agreeing to hold back those episodes in the name of philanthropy. But there were few enough of those episodes, even during the fur years, that I’d think it would hardly make a dent in the amount of content available to air.

So I’m thinking whatever the real issue is likely applies to both Bob’s and Drew’s versions—be it a naming rights conflict, some other negotiating hangup, or maybe that the price simply isn’t right (;D). (I still think it’s probably been a factor in the absence of Cullen’s version over the years as well, though that’s apparently no longer the case.)

But that’s just my speculative take. If there are any copyright or intellectual property attorneys on the board, it would be fascinating to hear from them.

I do remember back in the GSN dark period, they did air TPiR (and FF94), something about how those rights were negotiated separately. I believe Cullen TPiR was part of that package, and that they aired it during the dark period too. Could be wrong there.

I didn’t actually have GSN at home until a few years after the dark period, only catching it occasionally when I’d stay certain places before then. I’ve read quite a bit about the DP and seen bits of it online, though. Sounds like some trippy fun.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:55:36 PM by chargeradiocom »

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 12:53:44 AM »
Buzzr has posted a promo on their Facebook page. Lots of interesting stuff in this promo!