Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longest running game show to not have a home game  (Read 11424 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Longest running game show to not have a home game
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
As with almost anything we discuss, you could define your terms any number of ways.  But to whatever degree I'm still acknowledged as an expert in this field (as I said on my old website "everybody ought to be an expert about something"), I'm digging the idea of Shop 'Til You Drop being the best answer for this.

In terms of what some of us still consider a "traditional" game show run (daily network show) the three longest-running shows without a home game go all the way back to the fifties: Queen For A Day, The Big Payoff and Who Do You Trust.  YMMV, however, on whether any or all of them are traditional game shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
As with almost anything we discuss, you could define your terms any number of ways.  But to whatever degree I'm still acknowledged as an expert in this field (as I said on my old website "everybody ought to be an expert about something"), I'm digging the idea of Shop 'Til You Drop being the best answer for this.
Well, I guess I'm curious now:  Outside of shows that aired on Nickelodeon, has any cable game show had a release of any kind?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »
Remote Control had a box game.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 01:01:33 PM »
I would argue your local arcade would count as a Starcade home version.

Or your Atari cartridges at home...I used to do that.

snowpeck

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
Well, I guess I'm curious now:  Outside of shows that aired on Nickelodeon, has any cable game show had a release of any kind?
I don't how widely it was released but there was a Lingo box game during the height of its run on GSN. There have also been home games for the Family Channel version of Trivial Pursuit and Cash Cab.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bob Zager

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »

Though not 100% faithful to the format, there was a box game based on GSN's The American Bible Challenge.

I'm a little surprised they didn't release one based on GSN's The Chase, even though some foreign editions have been produced.  It's very rare for cable tv game shows to get their own home versions for some unknown reason.

Backtracking to the original question, I would've guessed the longest running would've been either Gambit or Tattletales, whose original runs were over 4 years each (plus shorter lived revivals).  There almost was a Tattletales home game, however.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
Depending on whether it started on GSN or PAX, “Hollywood Showdown”.

Never mind. I dunno why I thought there was a board game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:48:06 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Casey

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Remote Control had a box game.
And a computer version for the Commodore 64, Apple II and IBM, if we are counting those.

Winkfan

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
In terms of what some of us still consider a "traditional" game show run (daily network show) the three longest-running shows without a home game go all the way back to the fifties: Queen For A Day, The Big Payoff and Who Do You Trust.

I was just thinking about TBP not having a home game, myself. I just now thought of another: The Name's The Same.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 09:42:03 PM »
In terms of what some of us still consider a "traditional" game show run (daily network show) the three longest-running shows without a home game go all the way back to the fifties: Queen For A Day, The Big Payoff and Who Do You Trust.

I was just thinking about TBP not having a home game, myself. I just now thought of another: The Name's The Same.

TNTS ran for a long time, but in relation to my quoted post above, it's important to note that it was a weekly prime-time show, not a daily one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chrisholland03

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 09:47:34 PM »
I'm still waiting for the "Play the Percentages" home game

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
I’d hold out for the Second Edition, set for release two months later.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 11:43:30 PM »
Did "Definition" ever make a home game?  If not, that show may fit the category.

rebelwrest

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 11:55:39 PM »
Did "Definition" ever make a home game?  If not, that show may fit the category.

I own a copy.  It uses the puzzle board and letter tokens from the Milton Bradley "Wheel of Fortune" home games.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

aaron sica

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 07:00:55 AM »

It never made it out of the testing stage - they couldn't build a little stand right to keep the percentages board from crashing. ;)