Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration question  (Read 5151 times)

danderson

Concentration question
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:33:40 PM »
On the original show, early on, when time ran out, the game was declared a draw and the players kept their prizes and a new rebus was substituted. However, later on, the game would be completed on the next show, at the point where it left off. When did this change?

Bob Zager

Re: Concentration question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:04:22 PM »
I seem to recall it first happening late in Hugh Downs' tenure, but if I'm wrong, I know they were doing it that way during the Clayton/McMahon episodes, until the series was cancelled.

I even recall often hearing Bob Clayton say in his closing words:  "We're going to finish this game, and show you the outcome, tomorrow (or Monday)."

danderson

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:37:48 AM »
I seem to recall it first happening late in Hugh Downs' tenure, but if I'm wrong, I know they were doing it that way during the Clayton/McMahon episodes, until the series was cancelled.

I even recall often hearing Bob Clayton say in his closing words:  "We're going to finish this game, and show you the outcome, tomorrow (or Monday)."

I do remember in the 80s version, Trebek often saying "we're running a little late, so let's show a few pieces of the puzzle" during the 2 strike era.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:41:01 AM »
On the original show, early on, when time ran out, the game was declared a draw and the players kept their prizes and a new rebus was substituted. However, later on, the game would be completed on the next show, at the point where it left off. When did this change?

I couldn't tell you the exact date, but I can tell you it was almost certainly related to the advent of videotape and the ability to record more than one show in a day.  When it was live, you couldn't send someone home with a half-revealed rebus to chew on all day, not to mention an aunt or uncle who figures it out at home who could call up and send her back into the studio the next day knowing the answer.   A pause of a few minutes between shows isn't ideal, but it worked for them at the time.

Concentration is a show that really shouldn't straddle, but in the less sophisticated era of the 50s and 60s, they did what they could to make it work.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 04:28:30 PM »
I couldn't tell you the exact date, but I can tell you it was almost certainly related to the advent of videotape and the ability to record more than one show in a day.  When it was live, you couldn't send someone home with a half-revealed rebus to chew on all day, not to mention an aunt or uncle who figures it out at home who could call up and send her back into the studio the next day knowing the answer.   A pause of a few minutes between shows isn't ideal, but it worked for them at the time.
Somewhat similar to when Chuck Woolery (or Pat Sajak, I guess) used to ask contestants to turn their backs on NBC's Wheel of Fortune if they had to put a commercial break while a puzzle was still being played - they didn't want contestants to be able to look at the puzzle and work out letters in their heads that might lead to a quick solve.  If they could do that without actually looking at the puzzle, more power to them, but it was less likely to occur than if they were staring at it for two minutes.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 09:52:06 AM »
How long did Wheel take breaks mid-puzzle. I think I've seen shows going into the late 80s still doing it, but my mind can't recall the 90s. Was it done in syndication?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

splinkynip

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »
How long did Wheel take breaks mid-puzzle. I think I've seen shows going into the late 80s still doing it, but my mind can't recall the 90s. Was it done in syndication?

Daytime Wheel stopped mid-puzzle commercials upon the switch to CBS. The first syndicated Wheel had a mid-show commercial. I guess that continued for the earliest shows taped.