Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nickelodeon to bring back "5th Grader"  (Read 1963 times)

colonial

Nickelodeon to bring back "5th Grader"
« on: February 14, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »
... with John Cena hosting ...

https://www.thewrap.com/are-you-smarter-than-a-5th-grader-john-cena-nickelodeon/

Whether Cena will actually be seen is another story altogether :)

JD

Kevin Prather

Re: Nickelodeon to bring back "5th Grader"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
I wonder if the show will be as interesting when the top prize is a trip to Space Camp.

colonial

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »
More info on the revival can be found here …

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/john-cena-host-nickelodeons-are-you-smarter-5th-grader-277026

It appears this version will have some kind of bonus game on the clock, as well as additional helps for the contestants.

JD

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
On the premise alone that Cena is hosting, my 5-year old son is psyched. He already wants me or my wife to get on so he can meet him. (Nice pun, BTW.)

On the premise that it's not on any Fox station which means we won't get the whole show spoiled during the intro before anything even starts, that makes ME psyched. I'll never forget how the first episode of the 2014 revival gave away right at the start that the contestant would reach the million dollar question. Turned it off right away. I feel I won't have to worry about that here though.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »
On the premise alone that Cena is hosting, my 5-year old son is psyched. He already wants me or my wife to get on so he can meet him. (Nice pun, BTW.)

On the premise that it's not on any Fox station which means we won't get the whole show spoiled during the intro before anything even starts, that makes ME psyched. I'll never forget how the first episode of the 2014 revival gave away right at the start that the contestant would reach the million dollar question. Turned it off right away. I feel I won't have to worry about that here though.
Er, NBC has spoiled episodes of Deal or No Deal; it's not just a Fox thing.

Also, if it's going to be on Nickelodeon, I doubt that the contestants will be adults. Nick at Nite, maybe, but the press release seems to make it clear that it's intended for Nickelodeon.

Cena also won't be the first professional wrestler to be on a Nickelodeon game show; The Big Show (under his WCW name, The Giant) was a panelist on Figure it Out.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »

Also, if it's going to be on Nickelodeon, I doubt that the contestants will be adults. Nick at Nite, maybe, but the press release seems to make it clear that it's intended for Nickelodeon.

I'm assuming the contestants will absolutely be adults, because that's the whole point of the show. A 12-year-old isn't going to need help from a bunch of fifth graders to answer questions drawn from elementary school classes.

Of course, this also leads to the problem Kevin already mentioned - they have to produce it on a Nickelodeon kids game show budget. Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader was designed to be played in primetime for big money, and is not going to be interesting if played for $10,000.

I suppose in theory you could play it as a competition between kids to see who can get the most questions right, but wouldn't that just be (Nickelodeon's own) Make The Grade?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:45:03 PM »
The focus should be on the humor, not the monstrous prize money.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 01:16:37 PM »
Also, if it's going to be on Nickelodeon, I doubt that the contestants will be adults.

From the press release:
Nickelodeon’s new Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader follows the original premise of adult contestants putting their knowledge to the test by answering questions taken directly from elementary school curriculum.

My big question: Will they be able to go even half of their episodes without somebody dabbing or flossing?