Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The wheels on the show go round and round...  (Read 2854 times)

ed1202

The wheels on the show go round and round...
« on: February 01, 2019, 10:47:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, anyone know how much force it takes to spin the wheel on TPIR?  Looks to be pretty substantial when spinning. WOF's wheel seems to take a lighter touch when spinning. I guess it would have to be since you're reaching forward and bending over.

(Sorry, just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Can somebody move it please?)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: The wheels on the show go round and round...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 02:09:21 PM »
I've had the opportunity to spin both, and they both take effort.

I don't know how much force I'm capable of generating, but around 2004, I had a day job that required me to occasionally lift 40-pound boxes. I was able to do that, but I don't think I would have been able to lift weights that were too much heaver (certainly not on a regular basis). I'm not sure how that compares to the population at large, but I would guess that my strength is probably a little below average.

I found that if I gave it my all, I could fairly consistently make the Price Is Right wheel spin for about one and a half rotations (this was between roughly 2006 and 2012; I don't know whether they've changed the friction on it since then).

I had the opportunity to spin the Wheel of Fortune wheel once in 2015. Because it was my one chance to do it, I spun it at full strength. I was able to get the wheel to make one complete rotation plus one wedge. If I was a contestant on the show and had to spin it multiple times within twenty minutes, I assume I wouldn't be able to get that result.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »
I had the opportunity to spin the Wheel of Fortune wheel once in 2015. Because it was my one chance to do it, I spun it at full strength. I was able to get the wheel to make one complete rotation plus one wedge. If I was a contestant on the show and had to spin it multiple times within twenty minutes, I assume I wouldn't be able to get that result.
I worked at a TV station that airs Wheel. Back in the mid-2000s, one of our anchors, a guy with a fairly athletic build, did a special feature on Wheel that included him trying to spin the wheel. His first attempt caught him off guard (to the point where his cameraman let out an audible laugh). He acknowledged that it's heavier than you'd expect.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
Scott's point is interesting given that the tension on the Big Wheel would be easy to control--it seems like most people should be able to get two times around, and at least these days the Wheel of Fortune is much heavier than in the old days.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 12:32:48 AM »
...the tension on the Big Wheel would be easy to control...

Out of curiosity, how? You could grease it, I suppose.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 01:07:33 AM »
I figure that there's something that keeps the wheel from moving side-to-side while in motion--that could be tightened or loosened for the desired effect.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
That makes sense. Do you or does anyone know if the wheel is hollow?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 06:26:39 AM »
That makes sense. Do you or does anyone know if the wheel is hollow?

Yes, it is.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

RyanCDN

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:06:33 PM »
Scott's point is interesting given that the tension on the Big Wheel would be easy to control--it seems like most people should be able to get two times around, and at least these days the Wheel of Fortune is much heavier than in the old days.

Yeah the wheel is tensioned down for WoF, much more so than in the old days which you can see from simple videos as to how quick it stops. You need to put a decent amount of force into getting it a full revolution.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

chrisholland03

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »
I miss the days of the floppy wheel with the cardboard inserts.