The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

BUZZR: Rights issues wizards?

(1/3) > >>

gamed121683:
In the risk of sounding melodramatic, BUZZR has performed some "miracles" as of late. Let me explain...

10/1/18: BUZZR airs Classic Concentration for the first time in a quarter century.

2/17/19: BUZZR will air The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour for the first time in 35 years.

Both of these are series that most of us thought would never see the light of day again due to rights issues. That’s the reason why GSN never aired them, yet BUZZR has been able to resolve them. While it's proof that the phrase "never say never" is still valid in this day and age, I'm curious to know what's their secret: Seriously, are TPTB at BUZZR better negotiators than GSN? How do they do it?

snowpeck:
Essentially it's probably that they don't have to negotiate with two entities at once. If the rights to, for instance, MGHS are owned jointly by Fremantle and MGM, since GSN is a third party, they would have to come to terms with both companies. Since Fremantle themselves own Buzzr, they only have MGM to contend with.

golden-road:

--- Quote from: snowpeck on February 01, 2019, 06:04:39 PM ---Essentially it's probably that they don't have to negotiate with two entities at once. If the rights to, for instance, MGHS are owned jointly by Fremantle and MGM, since GSN is a third party, they would have to come to terms with both companies. Since Fremantle themselves own Buzzr, they only have MGM to contend with.

--- End quote ---

Isn't CBS a factor as far as copyright on the name Hollywood Squares? I know they own the format at least.

snowpeck:

--- Quote from: golden-road on February 01, 2019, 06:08:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: snowpeck on February 01, 2019, 06:04:39 PM ---Essentially it's probably that they don't have to negotiate with two entities at once. If the rights to, for instance, MGHS are owned jointly by Fremantle and MGM, since GSN is a third party, they would have to come to terms with both companies. Since Fremantle themselves own Buzzr, they only have MGM to contend with.

--- End quote ---

Isn't CBS a factor as far as copyright on the name Hollywood Squares? I know they own the format at least.

--- End quote ---
Owning the format and owning the rights to existing episodes are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. MGM still owns classic Squares and the two 80s revivals.

golden-road:

--- Quote from: snowpeck on February 01, 2019, 06:12:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: golden-road on February 01, 2019, 06:08:50 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Owning the format and owning the rights to existing episodes are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. MGM still owns classic Squares and the two 80s revivals.

--- End quote ---

Ah, so it sounds like Fremantle simply bought out MGM's stake in the show and now owns it outright then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version