Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New show coming to Buzzr on February 17...  (Read 28305 times)

Bryce L.

New show coming to Buzzr on February 17...
« on: February 01, 2019, 01:15:47 AM »
... The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour. Episodes 2 to 5, from 4 to 8pm. No clue if it's going to the regular schedule or not.

http://buzzrplay.com/schedule/schedule_by_date/2019/02/17/America/New_York

golden-road

Re: New show coming to Buzzr on February 17...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »
Wow. Must've cleared up the rights issues.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:08:02 AM »
I might be in the minority here but I really enjoyed this show. Looking forward to seeing the mini-marathon on the 17th!

chrisholland03

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
I always thought they built a nice container (set, music, staging) but blew it on the content (writing, chemistry).

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 10:36:23 AM »
Since this and Classic Concentration were shows that had "cross-ownership issues", are there any other Goodson properties in the same boat?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Bryce L.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »
Since this and Classic Concentration were shows that had "cross-ownership issues", are there any other Goodson properties in the same boat?
Not a Goodson show, but still Fremantle just the same (by way of them owning Grundy), Scrabble would on paper have issues (because of Hasbro owning the board game rights).

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »
Woah. Was not expecting this. Weird that they're skipping the premiere, but hey.

Scrabble would on paper have issues (because of Hasbro owning the board game rights).
And, by extension, Scattergories.

As for other Fremantle properties that may hit snags due to cross-ownership...maybe Bill Carruthers' 1970s games due to being coproduced by Warner Bros. Television?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:01:35 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
Article from Vulture confirms it, plus the plans to add it to the regular schedule later this year...

https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/match-game-hollywood-squares-hour-streaming-buzzr.html

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
Woah. Was not expecting this. Weird that they're skipping the premiere, but hey.

How do we know that? I didn't see any indication of episode numbers.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

How do we know that? I didn't see any indication of episode numbers.
If you look at the source code for the schedule page, it shows the episode numbers.

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
If you look at the source code for the schedule page, it shows the episode numbers.

Ah. Mea culpa.

So 4 eps from premiere week. Not bad!

Casey Buck

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »
Props to Buzzr for getting shows that never aired on GSN before.

MGHS was a hot mess, but at least we'll have a better idea of how much of a mess it was.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »
MGHS was a hot mess, but at least we'll have a better idea of how much of a mess it was.
From the episodes online, Squares (which was really the only bum part of the whole matter) wasn't too bad early on, with the questions being straightforward and sometimes open-ended rather than the convoluted either-or messes they later became, so I think the early shows will be easier to stomach.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

snowpeck

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

beatlefreak84

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
So, as soon as I saw this news this morning, I had two reactions:

Game Show Fan Side:  "Wow; I've never seen this show on TV.  I can't wait to see a new-to-me take on trying to merge two classic game shows!"

Rational Side:  "Why would they have spent money to get the rights to *this*?  Who would remember this show outside of game show geeks?"

I guess, as a business decision, this has me completely stymied.  Since Fremantle would have had to pay money for this show due to the cross-ownership issue, where is the profit potential?  At least there is a much better recognition with Classic Concentration to get some other people watching besides us game show geeks, and the show ran for six total years in daytime.  This show didn't even make it a year and, from my second hand recollection (it was on before I was born), wasn't very popular.

I'm trying not to be a curmudgeon here, but I said the same thing when they got Strike it Rich.  Even if it is a small number of episodes and exclusive to Amazon Prime, the name recognition is minimal outside of game show geeks.

So, what does this mean?  Of course, I'll watch at least one episode of MGHS because of curiosity.  That still doesn't mean I don't think it's a poor business decision.

On the brighter side, though, I do applaud Buzzr for trying out shows that add some variety to their lineup.  I've always enjoyed their special weeks like "Lost and Found" for the same reason.

Here's to MGHS!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™