Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR: Rights issues wizards?  (Read 5309 times)

gamed121683

BUZZR: Rights issues wizards?
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:54:00 PM »
In the risk of sounding melodramatic, BUZZR has performed some "miracles" as of late. Let me explain...

10/1/18: BUZZR airs Classic Concentration for the first time in a quarter century.

2/17/19: BUZZR will air The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour for the first time in 35 years.

Both of these are series that most of us thought would never see the light of day again due to rights issues. That’s the reason why GSN never aired them, yet BUZZR has been able to resolve them. While it's proof that the phrase "never say never" is still valid in this day and age, I'm curious to know what's their secret: Seriously, are TPTB at BUZZR better negotiators than GSN? How do they do it?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:06:10 PM by gamed121683 »

snowpeck

Re: BUZZR: Rights issues wizards?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:04:39 PM »
Essentially it's probably that they don't have to negotiate with two entities at once. If the rights to, for instance, MGHS are owned jointly by Fremantle and MGM, since GSN is a third party, they would have to come to terms with both companies. Since Fremantle themselves own Buzzr, they only have MGM to contend with.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

golden-road

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
Essentially it's probably that they don't have to negotiate with two entities at once. If the rights to, for instance, MGHS are owned jointly by Fremantle and MGM, since GSN is a third party, they would have to come to terms with both companies. Since Fremantle themselves own Buzzr, they only have MGM to contend with.

Isn't CBS a factor as far as copyright on the name Hollywood Squares? I know they own the format at least.

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 06:12:42 PM »

Isn't CBS a factor as far as copyright on the name Hollywood Squares? I know they own the format at least.
Owning the format and owning the rights to existing episodes are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. MGM still owns classic Squares and the two 80s revivals.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

golden-road

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »

Owning the format and owning the rights to existing episodes are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. MGM still owns classic Squares and the two 80s revivals.

Ah, so it sounds like Fremantle simply bought out MGM's stake in the show and now owns it outright then.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »

I'm sure the only version of "Squares" CBS would have anything to do with is the Bergeron version (syndicated by King World).

I don't know if you can count this since it's just on Amazon right now and not the channel, but what about "Strike It Rich"? I had speculated that Fremantle's involvement in the British show (and their--rather, Pearson's--buyout of Thames Television years back) may have had to do with them landing the rights to the US show.

Nonetheless, after all this, I can't help but think that "Scrabble" will be next. I---and I'm sure others here--can only hope Hasbro will cooperate.

And then, there was "Wordplay"..... :(

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:22 PM »
Ah, so it sounds like Fremantle simply bought out MGM's stake in the show and now owns it outright then.

Where did you make that leap?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

golden-road

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »

Where did you make that leap?

-Jason

I interpreted this being similar to Fremantle buying Classic Concentration from NBC. There's a good chance I may have misread the situation.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 07:29:27 PM »
I don't know if you can count this since it's just on Amazon right now and not the channel, but what about "Strike It Rich"?
I'd say it counts, yeah.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 03:49:14 AM »
I interpreted this being similar to Fremantle buying Classic Concentration from NBC.

It's safe to say you made a leap there too. Fremantle has always had the tapes to Classic Concentration and MGHSH - airing them is a whole 'nother matter. When GSN airs/aired certain series, they didn't have to buy the entire rights to the series to do so.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
Indeed.  The wrestling equivalent would be that magic wand Triple H apparently has that allows him to repair burnt bridges in the WWE (inviting Bruno and Warrior to the HOF, for instance...)

As noted before, Fremantle negotiating for what can be seen on their channel may make things easier, instead of sitting by with whoever as Sony moderated on behalf of GSN.  So hopefully that translates well into talking with, say, Hasbro re: Scrabble.  And dare I say...CBS for a certain other hour long game show? One, ahem, slightly more successful than MG/HS ;-) 

Now also wonders how steep the WordPlay issue really was, as such...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
Two ex-rectum speculations:

1. Since BUZZR is technically a broadcast channel, isn't the path to perpetual rerun-ville easier since that was already negotiated in the contract?

2. Since Comcast has owned NBC, they seem to be much more liberal in licensing content.  Think back to when Letterman tried to get NBC clips for CBS clip shows, couldn't do it.  But towards the end of his career, he was able to get them.  Same with Conan.  I just wonder if NBC's mentality is now something is better than nothing. 
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

jimlangefan

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »
Somewhat off topic but not at the same time,  am I the only who is thinking that with these two acquisitions that Scrabble can't be far behind?
TV's Big Dealer

chargeradiocom

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:54 AM »
At this point, I feel like we can’t take any show in which Fremantle has a stake totally off the table. Really, would it be a complete shock at this point to see Scrabble, The Price is Right, and Name That Tune all on BUZZR sometime within the next 2 years?

Granted, I’m perhaps speaking with some degree of hyperbole here. Obviously, each of those has an obstacle that, indications are, will be a bear to overcome. But if anyone can get it done, it seems BUZZR’s acquisitions folks might be up to the challenge.  ;)